Question on Inductors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently aquired some large torodial (not air core) inductors that are about 6mh in size, .47 ohms resistance as measured with a DMM, they appear to bw wound with #12 wire. These are BIG inductors, I paid about 6 bucks each for them which I know is a steal.

I have tried these in my Aleph X and they seem to work fine. After being on all day thay barely get warm. In the power supply I get about .9 volts P to P at the input cap and pretty much just noise at the secopnd cap....

I was wondering what effect these larger inductors will have on a power supply in an Aleph X or Aleph2 vs. using the normal 2.2mh inductor. Will they provide more or less smoothing effect? HAs anyone else tried a much larger inductor on theors?

Thanks for any insight!

Mark

More inductance is more stored energy and more smoothing. The interesting thing would be check voltage across the inductors with a scope set on DC coupleing to see how far the voltage swing is. IE +4 volts to -2.5 volts.

Hey wait, A second Mark in Salt Lake that's a cinema sound guy. I smell a rat.

Yea, Its me. Lost my password when I cleaned the desk... a once a year event around here!! So the only choice was to re-regester and so I did. They have lessened the space for ones name when you regester so I used the Highbias name instead!! Its odd that that you have to re-regester.... the password retrevial thng doesn't work nor does anyone answer you when you e-mail them about it. Anyway, no big deal as now I have the screen name that you should have used:).

I just bought ten more of these surplus 6mh torodial inductors, so if anyone is interested in any of these klet me know as there are at least that many left at the store. I'm sending 2 sets to Mike W in exchange for some boards he sent me a while back..... Anyone else want any just drop me an e-mail. These would normally run about 45 bucks each new.

Mark in Salt Lake City

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.