Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2004, 05:47 PM   #11
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

not to much you can do with it but drill more holes add more lights
all the way around. if the face plate is thick u could put the light in there pointing at the faceplate. or you could put the face plate on the amp and sink the meter into the amp more with a homemade shim and put the lights in the shim

see pic

kinda like that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-399f.jpg (36.4 KB, 394 views)
Old 5th May 2004, 05:48 PM   #12
cowanrg is offline cowanrg  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cowanrg

its been busy for me lately. im doing school full time and work full time. AND trying to have a social life. its kinda hard.

there hasnt been much "progress" lately, but a lot of planning has been done. i just got my credit card from sony (they give you money for selling their stuff), and i have enough cash to order all i need to finish up. i am actually ordering stuff right now. i am waiting on a quote from victoria magnetics on the transformers. i could have them done as soon as 2 months.

i shouldnt have taken on this project for a first time real project. its WAY too much learning all at once! but, im getting much better at metal work though.
Old 5th May 2004, 08:22 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to porfi4ever
I was thinking to put the light in the face plate , but this one is of glass. I'll trying more lights to see what happen. Another thing is if I can put these lights without resistors to get more bright light coming from them. Thanks everybody for your responses.
Old 5th May 2004, 11:28 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default LED Location?

Is the LED behind the meter markings (i.e. the thing that says VU meter)? If so, can you disassemble the meter and put in a paper (maybe tracing paper or vellum) faceplate printed on an inkjet printer? I made some +24V meters into 0-10V and 0-1A meters using resistors and changing the faceplate.

Maybe that could give you the glow you deserve and not cost more than a few pennies and a couple of hours. For kicks, you could change from 0-X units to something like 0-50%power-Way too Loud! True, that could be a bit tacky for a Pass design, but it could be fun too. If you are interested, I'll post images of my converted current gauges. Nothing special, just a finished product, but they could have been way too easy to work with, compared to your high quality gauges.

If not, don't LED's usually look brighter face-on instead of parallel to the body? Maybe moving it to the back could help. Just a guess.

Good luck with the amp and the blue glow.

How does it compare to your previous amp? Did you enjoy the build article Mr. Pass wrote? I personally enjoy reading the articles, even when I don't build the project. A good, down to Earth writer, I feel.

Sandy.
Old 6th May 2004, 03:28 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to porfi4ever
Hi Sandy, yes the LED is behind meter markings and yes I disassemble the meter trying to put a smaller LED light in front of the meter markings(it's going to be hard, not to much space). Sorry I don't khow what vellum is and please post your images of converter current gauges. Thanks for the inputs.
Old 6th May 2004, 03:36 AM   #16
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

lights without resistors to get more bright light coming from them

use the resistors or the led will short out. u could try buying brighter ones

(pop weird smell)

Hide this!Advertise here!