Aleph 5 for mid/treble and Aleph X for bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2004, 01:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 5 for mid/treble and Aleph X for bass

Hi guys,
Last few days, after reading a Rushmore broschure, I'm thinking about biamping my sistem with Aleph 5 on mid/treble and Aleph X on the bass. I already got an Aleph 5, Aleph P is on it's way, so now I have to build an active crossover and Aleph X. I'll have to do it on a tight budget!
Now sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I would like to ask you a little stupid question. Can I build an ~80W Aleph X circuit just for the bass? Can I make it just to play low frequencies, let's say below 150Hz? Is that possible, and if it is, is that going to be less expensive? I want to make it as small as possible, but to have a good dissipation. Maybe one day I'll build my own active speakers and just put all the amplifing stuff inside the box.
Old 4th May 2004, 02:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Can you build an 80W Aleph-X?
Yep.
Can you cross it over at 150 Hz?
Yep.
Is it going to be less expensive?
Less expensive than what? In general, biamped speakers are more expensive than passively crossed-over speakers.
Small?
Don't count on it.
Will it sound good?
You betcha!

Grey
Old 4th May 2004, 05:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

bbakota2000,

this is exactly what I had in ind combining a aleph5 (also have one) for treble and aleph-x for base with a linkwitz active crossover. My Aleph-x won't be 80W however.

Ralph
Old 5th May 2004, 08:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, Aleph5 above 150Hz, AlephX below.

However, because my bass speakers are rather inefficient (around 85db/w, sealed system with Lambda's SB12) I need something like a 100 watt.

Therfore I am also thinking if I don't better use a PWM (class D type) amp, e.g. something with an ICE module or a Crown K1.

Saves a lot of electricity, and some have very good bass control (and 250 watt easily).

However, will these 2 diferent amp worlds make a good combination??
Old 5th May 2004, 02:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duck-Twacy

Therfore I am also thinking if I don't better use a PWM (class D type) amp, e.g. something with an ICE module or a Crown K1.

Saves a lot of electricity, and some have very good bass control (and 250 watt easily).

However, will these 2 diferent amp worlds make a good combination??
What is Crown K1? I thought about that also. More power, less heat dissipation, consuming less power. Do you have something particular in mind?
Old 5th May 2004, 04:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bbakota2000

What is Crown K1? I thought about that also. More power, less heat dissipation, consuming less power. Do you have something particular in mind?
I don't know if I'm alowed to advertise Crown stuff in the Pass forum

In the USA a 350watt@8 ohm K1 can be bought for around $1050. In europe prices vary around 2000 euro (cheapest I found is here). There is also a K2, bBut that one has just too much power for me.

The strong point of Crowns is their bass performance, eg check out this review

Because I'm planning to cross at 150 Hz I'm a bit worried if the difference in amps will be noticable in the sound. But than again, there are also different speaker units, so there is always some difference in sound. Still crossing below 100 Hz would be better I think.

Btw because its pro stuff you probably can rent it for a couple of days.

Other options would be Acoustic Reality or some other ICE power based amp. Or maybe LC-Audio?
Old 5th May 2004, 05:23 PM   #7
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Tripath? I've been collecting eval boards, but I plan to use them only below 70Hz or so.
Old 5th May 2004, 07:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Is there any amplifier in DIY world that is close to the Crown K1 specifications?
Old 5th May 2004, 11:11 PM   #9
Rarkov is offline Rarkov  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rarkov Send a message via Skype™ to Rarkov
I have to say I intend on biamping some Manger 103 I'm building. Using the Aleph-X for the treble and Tripath 0104A eval bridged for 1kW (!) bass output.

Should be sweet!

Gaz
Old 6th May 2004, 01:40 AM   #10
BDP is offline BDP  United States
diyAudio Member

I wonder what would be the minimum bias level for an Aleph type amp for the mid and tweeter sections and not compromise the sound. If the bias levels can be reduced you could maybe put more amps on the same heatsinks? HUMMM, I wonder what bias levels the Rushmores mid bass, mid and tweeters are set to?

BDP

Hide this!Advertise here!