One more attenuator question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gents,

A real quick question. I have the chance to get a 10Kohm 8 section attenuator on the cheap. It would be nice to use it on my Aleph 1.7 P project. What effect would the impedance mismatch have on the preamp since the preamps output impedance is 5K ohms. The input attenuation is 10K so it would work well for the input. What would happen if I only attenuated the input?

I'm also working on my Aleph P 1.7, and as far as I uderstood I don't have to regulate the input signal, because gain is same all the time and it's regulated with feedback resistor (2K pot or fixed resistor). I just have to put attenuator on the output signal, bacause there is no need for regulating input signal. Am I right? If I'm not please explain what did I misunderstood!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
kilowattski said:

What would happen if I only attenuated the input?

In his Bride of Zen article, Mr Nelson Pass clarifies your question:

¡°Normally you see the volume control potentiometer at the input to the preamp circuit, and in this way you can insure that the input will not be overloaded. Placing the potentiometer at the output has two advantages, however, the first being that all circuit noise will be attenuated as the volume setting is reduced. Placing the volume control at the output allows the input of the gain stage to look directly at the source. This improves the bandwidth and distortion of the circuit by providing a lower RC figure for the input capacitance of the MOSFET. If you desire to place a potentiometer at the input of the circuit, feel free to do so...¡±

I hope this will help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.