heat problem or not ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I think I've got a problem with my amplifier! Even my heatsink is very big, my zen V4 is very hot. Afer 3 hour, it is very hot near the mosfet but is cooler at the extremity of the heatsink! Near the mosfet, it is hot for my hand but at the extremity, it is OK. I have the Zen V4 since a years witout problem but sometime, I'm affrait of the high temperature !

The bias is the normal one...

Thank you very much !!!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 434
sorry to answer not in your language, surely a special contact thermometer would give a better result, but we are not interested in fractions of a degree, only if it is more like 55°C or more like 95°C.

If you want a good measurement put the thermometer at a place deep between the heatsinks fins near to the FETs position and wait some minutes.

An ordinary digital kitchen thermometer will do an excellent job--and you can use it to cook with when you're done. The ones I have read down to tenths of a degree (F or C, your choice, there's a switch on the back), which is more than accurate enough. As till says, you're looking for general trends, not NASA-spec readouts.
Just shooting from the hip, I'd say that those heatsinks look to be good for 50-100W of heat. I'm having trouble telling the scale, though.
How hot is too hot? Nelson routinely runs things a lot hotter than I do. He is content if he doesn't smell burning flesh when he touches a heatsink. I prefer to be able to leave my hand on the heatsink indefinitely. This translates to a fair difference in actual heat dissipation capability.
If the temperature turns out to be higher than you want, you can always go with forced air cooling.
Incidentally, regardless of the heat involved, that's a tidy-looking amplifier.

Grey

arold19,

Good temperatures, check right on the output mosfets, the other fets,

the transfo, and the voltage regulators.

PS: On my A75 after an hour, the output mosfets are 62 celsius degrees
the voltage regulators for +50/-50volts are 110 degrees{here I have a pb
the heatsiks are too small, and the voltage is too high...}
the transfo is 45 celsius degrees ; the rectifiers are 50 degrees ; the rest of the mosfets on the Pcb are <60 degrees and the 2 lateral heatsinks are 52/53 degrees.

Regards.

Alain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.