Large Heatsinks anyone (probably suit a high power or class a amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a pair of the 4 footers from Russ through a friend as I don't do much E-baying. We are planning on using them to build up two "stock" X amps. The base section of them is very thick which will make for a very sturdy chassis. The fins are only an inch high but are very densly packed in.....seems like about twice as many fins as you would normally find on this sort of sink. I'm planning on using four 12" sections per X amp.

Mark

I actually got two 4 foot sections of those sinks. 4 12 inch pieces should be fine for a "stock X". They could also be made into an air tunnel type heatsink quite easily. Will try to get a friend to take some photos and get em posted. My digital camera was ripped off about 6 months ago and I have yet to replac it.
Mark

This is what I have my PZ4 boards mounted to, one on each side.

Regards

Anthony

Attachments

• wind c.jpg
    wind c.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 476
what are those? ... how hot do they get?

I am also looking at some of the thermaflo extrusions.... I have some doubts though.... maybe someone can help me.

Lets take the E3120 extrusion, in their web-page it says that the thermal resistance is 0.28 C/W at a lenght of 6,00 in .... but then looking at their graph about this same extrusion it says that the temperature rise over ambient at 100W dissipated would be about 9 or 10 degrees.

Shouldn´t the temp rise over ambient at 100W be 28 degrees given the thermal resistance of 0.28 C/W?

What am I missing?:scratch:

Rixsta said:
how hot do they get?

do you always use the fan? it must be quiet a effective vacume.

i want to do the same thing as you Coulomb scince i run my PZ4 with a 1.5 amp bias there shouldn't be any problem with heat...

I will let you know when I power them up, but given thier effeciency when cooled with forced air, I do not imagine they will get over 40C, time will tell.

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.