Aleph P 1.7 Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen,

I am collecting parts to build an Aleph P 1.7 to go with my Zen V4. I notice that there is a 3.3 ohm connected in series with the +60 VDC rail. I am having a heck of a time finding a metal film 3.32 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor. What is the purpose of this resistor and does anybody have an idea for a source? Thanks in advance gents.

What parts are you using for the 10uF capacitors? I would like to use Wima MKS4 caps and I am having a difficult time finding a source also.

Just don't waste your time any more.They suck!
Use BG N type instead.10uF is not very critical.You can use 1-10uF at input and 10-30 at output.
I got best results with Siemens MKV.
Audyn cap KP-SN also would be a good choice.
But moneywise BG would be the best.

Bartek

I use WIMAS MKS4 100 10uF in BZLS and it sounds wonderfull. They are 1,95€ at Reichelt here in germany. There are more or less frequently group orders at this board.

For the resistor i supect it does some RC Filter together with C25/C26. I think you could leave it away or use a little more or less Ohms without any problems.

I use WIMAS MKS4 100 10uF in BZLS and it sounds wonderfull. They are 1,95€ at Reichelt here in germany. There are more or less frequently group orders at this board.

Till
Sorry but wonderfull comparing to what? Cheapest electrolitics from china?

I used to use them in my Aleph P,then changed for something better.They are flat,lifeless,highs are harsh and there is no bass.

You use great speakers,actually one of the best in the world - TAD drivers.And those wooden horn of yours are great! You should really try something better.

You live in Germany,try to locate used Siemens MKV at some surplus stores,you will be suprised.

Bartek

Bartek,

The only surplus stores i know are in Munich, whats about 600km away. I don´t come there to often, also i would like....

Isn´t harsh (may be caused by that mystic dieelectric absorption nonlinearity, and no bass - not enough capacintance - some kind of anacronism?

I never used electrolytics for coupling caps as long as the caps value is below 22uF, as this is what i have from Wima MKS. I also have a good stock of Wima SMD film caps ( very lagre parts for SMD) as they gave me for free.

If someone could convince me of difference to expect, or gives me the caps, i would like to try. But at the moment i suspect most of that capacitor sound is psychological, also i suspect most of those capacitor sound claimers a) don´t listen to music but maybe sinewaves, or ) listen to music that i consider something else but music, or c) use speakers i claim its not possible to listen too much difference in the chain before. I´m willing to spend money for a value i expect to get back for serios reasons. A serios reason for me is someone who tells me and has good substantiations for his advice. So Nelson Pass and Cyclotronguy had when they told me what speakers to use. For the capacitor, resistor or silver wire sound i did not hear much coherent information until now. The best information was the link Frank gave me yesterday, and the hard information that could be derived from it is: don´t use ceramics or electrolytics if possible. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=377428#post377428

Thanks Bartek,

at the moment in use a 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley at 540Hz what is about 18,4uF with an 4,7mH aircoil inductor. The capacitor is formed from 4 caps in parallel at the moment. I do think about experimenting with 650Hz instead what would be 15.3uF and 3,9mH inductor, but i don´t know if this will be improvement or not, just experimenting.

at the moment in use a 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley at 540Hz what is about 18,4uF with an 4,7mH aircoil inductor. The capacitor is formed from 4 caps in parallel at the moment. I do think about experimenting with 650Hz instead what would be 15.3uF and 3,9mH inductor, but i don´t know if this will be improvement or not, just experimenting.

15uF is standard value in Siemens.I think I have seen 20uF,but I'm not sure.Are you ok. with 15uF.No problem with getting those.

Bartek

So Bartek, what do you think then about MKP4 WIMA . All what I can say that is very hard to beat this one. I have tried many and MKP is the one. Not because I have some stock of them but there must be good reason that I have paid that much for so many of them.

BTW I am selling 16pcs now as I have to many. (about 50pcs)

Trigon;)

Nbaula,

I have found Metal Film 3.3 Ohm, 1/4 Watt Resistors. They are manufactured by NTE P/N QW3D3 and are available from Unicorn Electronics over the web and are in stock at $0.56 each. The Wima MKP polypropylene capacitors are great caps but if you are thinking of using them for the Aleph P 1.7 and are using Kristjan's boards they just won't fit. There is simply not enough room. Had there been enough room, they would have been my choice.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
kilowattski said:

If I already have 22.1 ohm registers (1/4W), I would consider using two of them in parallel instead of the 3.3 ohm. I assume that max. current through it is about 60mA. Then, voltage drop across it is 0.06x11.05 = 0.66V. This requires necessary wattage rating of 0.06x0.06x11.05 = 0.04 watts. I foresee no problem.

Or, I could use even one 22.1 ohm resistor instead of the 3.3 ohm.

Hi,

One more comment from my side…

The 3.3Ohm resistor is just loaded with ca. 70mA per channel. This creates less than 0.1W. So each small resistor can be used – also the load up peak of the buffer electrolytics is uncritical. The only problem is to get such small values. So the easiest is to lay some resitors in parallel. So three times 10Ohm gives easily 3.3ohm. The exact value does not matter.

I use, like written frequently before, best Electrolytics as coupling caps – and strongly prefer them to foil caps after many tests. Electrolytics sound much faster, dynamic and more open, why ever. To get rid of their last harshness use small bypass caps, best 10-22nF MKP type. So my ultra reasonable coupling cap is Panasonic FC + Vishay Roederstein 10nF 1837 or similar. I use values of 220uF – causing a start up delay (till the caps are loaded, especially the input branch cap) of the circuit. But no problem at all… Values of 22, 47, 100uF would be appropriate. Check it out…

The sound performance of the P1.7 using best parts is really indescribable well! Pure music. And no "soft" bass or missing stability and sovereignty. I think the CCSs are a must for good circuit performance.

Regards

Klaus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.