M2 edcor transformer specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A few times in the M2 and Mr Johnson's M2 related threads I have seen mention of First Watt measuring the transformers frequency response to screen out ones not good enough for their service.

What is required to measure these transformers, I assume it is important to perform this screening if First Watt is doing it.

Having used these transformers for a few M2 builds, they sound good, but what do I know.

Russellc

....There was however a mention somewhere in the M2 threads that one could use trimmer resistors to fine adjust the autoformer output or something?

Was nice Guy who shows us multiturns trimmer instead of two 10R resistors at 2SJ74| 2SK170 buffer output.
More easy way to get 0mV DC offset if jfet's is not perfect matched pair, good trick and Edcor is not saturated.

For test's of input transformer frequency response Audio Precision are superb tool :D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
boyz , don't make an issue of non-issue

for regular Greedy Boy , there is no need for fussing about everything ...... then more

Papa is manufacturer , his way of thinking and preparing entire production logistic is completely different realm , than of one doing just a piece for himself

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you have a dual channel digital oscilloscope it would be pretty easy. Tell the scope to measure the amplitude (Vrms) of both channel1 and channel2, and also to measure the frequency (Hz) of channel 1.

Connect a 50 ohm signal generator to the primary. Connect the channel1 probe to the primary and the channel2 probe to the secondary. Tell the signal generator to apply a sine wave to the primary; watching the frequency readout on the scope, adjust generator to 10 Hz. Write a line in your lab notebook
freq=XXX Hz Chan1=YYY volts RMS Chan2=ZZZ volts RMS​
Repeat for the E6 series of frequencies, all the way up to 100 kHz

f= 10, 15, 22, 33, 47, 68, 100, 150, 220, 330, 470, 680, 1K, 1.5K, 2.2K, 3.3K, 4.7K, 6.8K, 10K, 15K, 22K, 33K, 47K, 68K, 100K Hertz

Now plot (Vout/Vin) versus frequency using Excel. Voila, the frequency response of this one particular Edcor transformer.

I'll let you decide whether you want to make the measurements with the secondary loaded or unloaded, and also whether you want to make the measurements with the Zobel Network connected or disconnected.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Was nice Guy who shows us multiturns trimmer instead of two 10R resistors at 2SJ74| 2SK170 buffer output.
More easy way to get 0mV DC offset if jfet's is not perfect matched pair, good trick and Edcor is not saturated.

For test's of input transformer frequency response Audio Precision are superb tool :D

Interesting, I don't remember seeing this tidbit. Link? Maybe use 10R or 20R pots?

Russellc

Last edited:
See connections on the Papa buffer schematic
left side with jfet source resistors and on right side with multiturn 20R trimmer.

Attachments

• 32ED2B60-D50C-40AE-A9E5-DF14E3ABDB2A.JPG
    32ED2B60-D50C-40AE-A9E5-DF14E3ABDB2A.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 46430363-DE73-40DB-A511-94BD660498ED.JPG
    46430363-DE73-40DB-A511-94BD660498ED.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 321
Joined 2003
Paid Member
See connections on the Papa buffer schematic
left side with jfet source resistors and on right side with multiturn 20R trimmer.

Thanks. Seems most useful for those whose Jfets are not perfectly matched.

Has anyone here tried this? Appears straight forward. I realize that is another circuit, this pot idea would be fine simply replacing the 2 10R resistors?

Russellc

Last edited:

Attachments

• B0B95E79-FCC1-4099-BFBA-DDFF0897525C.jpg
    B0B95E79-FCC1-4099-BFBA-DDFF0897525C.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 286
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A few times in the M2 and Mr Johnson's M2 related threads I have seen mention of First Watt measuring the transformers frequency response to screen out ones not good enough for their service.

What is required to measure these transformers, I assume it is important to perform this screening if First Watt is doing it.

Having used these transformers for a few M2 builds, they sound good, but what do I know.

Russellc

Here is the post: Concerns some of them having a high frequency peak...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/321925-diyaudio-watt-m2x-3.html#post5431448

Russellc

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks. Seems most useful for those whose Jfets are not perfectly matched.

Has anyone here tried this? Appears straight forward. I realize that is another circuit, this pot idea would be fine simply replacing the 2 10R resistors?

Russellc

I posted some findings in the B1 v2 thread.
B1 Rev. 2

Even with perfectly Idss matched JFETs you don't get zero offset. So trim pot seem always necessary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.