Predatory ACA Selling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For all we know, it could be an ebay store front for a secondhand dealer.

Maybe some dude bought it and the wife opened the parcel before he could intercept it. She walks him down the road to the secondhand shop and makes him sell it.

Then secondhand shop guy puts it on his ebay store.

If you have a look at the guy's 'feedback as a seller', there is a lot of audio stuff but mostly random and nothing really that screams predatory bulk buy. And certainly not a massive profit margin there once all the paypal fees and postage etc are taken into account.

At the end of the day, the kit will be going into circulation again to someone willing to pay a bit more for a second chance at a missed opportunity and that has got to be better than it going to a hoarder who never builds it and never lets the amp sing.

Also, my name is not Ralph. ;)

My response was partially tongue in cheek.

If he sells it for $425, ebay will get about 13% or about $55.25 of that. If shiping only really costs him the $15 he is asking he will end up making a whopping $53 dollars on the deal.

Do you want to call Wall street or should I? ;)

I was late and missed a couple of times to buy my ACA’s and had to wait for the announcment to get in this time too. I survived.

One only rule? I wouldn't have bought only one. I need four in mono for my project, which I bought.

I get that this isn’t suposed to be a “commercial enterprise” but I am sure that DIY made a profit on these, at least they should have. I am sure making the project kit available is a lot of work.

Thank you Mr Pass!

Thank you DIY Audio!

Barry.

Excellent solution, Mike.

In the spirit of full transparency, I should point out that I have owned the following boards, bits, and pieces over the years, and have successfully finished the construction of none: Zen, F4, F5, F6, SIT, M2, and Mofo. Also Plitron and Antek transformers, switching supplies, and cap multipliers. Have sold some of it. Have not increased my net worth appreciably over time.

To me it is quite obvious that someone is trying to make some quick profit from the current demand of ACA kits.
That someone is obviously a registered DIYAudio member, but under quite a different name.
So all these excuses that he/she might have decided to not build the kit and is trying to cover the expenses are mildly said "rubbish".
He/she could have offered the kit at the Swap Meet section and recover the expenses very quickly.
Or, as someone else mentioned at least build the amp and then sell it.
This to me is a case a blatant profiteering at the right moment.

The main problem I think is that there is nothing that can be done to counter such behavior, this site relies on openness, honesty and generosity and also decency.

Maybe in the future there should be a condition not to re-sell items from the store within 6 - 12 months of purchase, unless first offered back to the members here.
Not sure how effective such a restriction might be but still worth a try.

Whenever a new console comes out (playstation) I usually buy a few more to sell during the Christmas rush. They're bought via preorder which everyone has the option to do. Don't see anything wrong w the guy selling it on ebay especially since DIYers usually have their ears to the ground and know when the next stock will be available. Also you can sign up to be notified when stock becomes available so personally I'm not mad at the guy.

@1audio

I didn't say he was getting rich, did I? :)

Someone please buy this thing and help this poor guy get out of the bank.

I just don’t get why anyone cares what this person does with his property.

If you missed the last buy and just gotta have one, here’s a chance you otherwise would not have. Or wait until the next round.

As to buying a hundred and selling them high? Try it! If no one want’s them at that price? Well you win some and lose some, that’s the game.

OK, I am going back to earning my money. Today I am making pinion bearing cassettes, for profit! Oooooooo sinful I know. :)

All the best.

Barry.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Gentlemen, calm your sphincters!
Johnny C. Johnson is right about Howard Johnson being right!

Anyway, I think that anyone looking for an "ACA" might already know what it is and has visited the Store at some point. If they haven't seen the Store and do a little research, through the miracle of the Interwebs, they might wind up there anyway potentially "making an offer" that's realistic.

My first thought of the seller when seeing the ad and price was- Wish in one hand and s**t in the other and see which one fills up first, but that's just me. :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Gentlemen, calm your ...

My first thought of the seller when seeing the ad and price was- Wish in one hand and s**t in the other and see which one fills up first, but that's just me. :)

Thanks for that! I'd not heard that one before; given I work in marketing I suspect I'll have a chance to use it myself sooner rather than later. :)

This thread has been an interesting microcosm of the beliefs of the members... I feel that this forum only exists due to the generosity of all that frequent it, and whilst folks may have different personal beliefs, I think anything that undermines the generosity of spirit that exists here is a bit of a shame.

Anyway, back to the soldering iron for me. :)

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Indeed, harrumph. We must wait 'til the facts are in. At this point all we know is:

A guy is selling a popular a kit on Ebay for $110 more than he paid for it. You're right, we certainly can't conclude anything from the facts. Now it's noteworthy that this is a "Buy It Now" or "Best Offer" listing. I'm sure the guy just marked it up figuring someone would make him a fair offer.

I emailed him and suggested he sell it here where it will likely be snapped up in about an hour without any seller fees. Keep your eyes peeled for the posting and we'll help this guy recoup his expenses and get this kit into the hands of someone who wants it. :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I agree with the two sentiments generally voiced on this thread: (a) we don't know the facts behind this offer and (b) without knowing those facts the ebay offer appears to conflict with the spirit of the diyAudio community. That said, ralph_deals posted the ACA kit on ebay on August 13. The philosophical question: should we take some level of comfort in the fact that the ACA kit is still available 9 days later?

Regards,
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.