Annoying beginner thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I recently bought Toshiba Jfets from Spencer and he only has SJ74's with Idss > 10. According to advice I've received here, that's fine as long as you change R3 and R4 to 15R.

Wow...That's not good. Fortunately, I have sets in reserve for the future in ideal ranges from Spencer and Punkydawgs.... With Spencer's supplies dwindling, the end may be a little more near.

Russellc

Ahhh… I realized it when I saw that list...
Foolishly I was thinking that I was out of a exotic parts problem with one purchase :( dumbass...

Ok, damn, I hate being this ignorant... But...
Can I throw a "first world question" for this one...
Who is spencer or the other guy?! Any link please?
I don't know enough to have this kind of...

And, this tread is gonna be a blast if fat lady starts to sing... at the end :)
I'm moving this to my signature:)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
One of the advantages of putting the input stage on a field-swappable daughter card is: it gives you the option to build and listen to the amplifier, without buying Toshiba JFETs. Of course if you actually want to buy and use Toshiba FETs, you certainly can: it's an extremely simple card swap. Non-Toshiba options include daughter cards built with Fairchild JFETs, or daughter cards built with Burr-Brown JFET opamps, or semiconductors made by Analog Devices, or Motorola ... etc. Whatever YOU happen to prefer.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Congratulations!
I think I saw in official tread... (I'm reading it all over again :radar:

I can't go that fast, don't know enough... But, will get there, will get there :)

no rush, haste makes waste...
I just had all the parts
right now its just two big heatsinks tied together, no box, that may take some time, since the amp is functional

For the future:
As you are living in a beautiful place on earth, the temperatures are hotter than in Scandinavia or in (air conditioned) USA.
My advice is (I'm living in Brazil at the moment) to lower the bias setting, so that on the hottest day you can touch the heatsinks (55°C or max 60°C). ZenMod posted in the M2 thread how to do that, and I guess Mark Johnson also did this on his thread.
Other possibility: get huge heatsinks.
If you want an easy life, the cases from Hifi2000 (see here in the diyaudio shop, or google the Italian homepage) are from good quality and you just have to drill some holes for the Mosfets, the rest is IKEA style.

Enjoy the way!

Cheers,
Matthias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.