Annoying beginner thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all…
I want to build an amp to go with my Alpair7.3 that I need to build FH3 box for (that is for FR forum)…

That said, I missed opportunity to get ACA kit (couldn’t make a payment for some reason)
I was sure I can build that amp, you get all the parts and information, and I got my iron and a multimeter, and no clue about electronic…

Now, should I keep my enthusiasm and go for a real amp F5 (parts are in store), AlephJ (has that balanced thing like my pro amps), or wait for next bunch of ACA?

... or just buy something :(

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ahhh, now I get it! :)
Back home, in Serbia would be much, much easyer...
I'm really on a desert island!

go to Forums - diyAudio.rs , look under "oglasi"

even better - register there , and ask what you need to ask .....

well , if you are already registered , then you didn't asked right question

:)

hey , wait , you're really on some desert island , that is no joke regarding your home land ?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Read M2 thread. Very nice amp. Marks has various different buffers on the front end, may want to read his thread. One of them is good old M2 buffer with getting harder to find Toshiba Jfets. The others use different easier to find parts. By "rollabe" I mean changeable. The buffers are on small cards that attach to main board.

Russelc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
we had small chat via personal messages , and I told him to be careful , taking in acount level of experience in electronics .... to find proper amplifier complete kit, like in old days and actual help (locally) .... be it ACA , or gainclone or whatever

build small first .......... to build always

:)

I'm still a rookie to all this but there's one thing ill point out; My 1st build ever was an Aleph J which took me a year to build. Some was due to obtaining the parts, modifying parts to fit my build but a good chunk of it was understanding what I was doing. If you're not the most patient person, stick with what the vets recommend but if you feel like you can take the time and build the amp over a wide time frame, you can build something like the F5, M2, AJ etc

You people are very helpful... Thanx a lot...
I'm gonna search a bit that gainclon stuff, seems like a good way to start...

But I'm a bit infected :) I'm starting to like that m2...
I think I'm gonna get those pcbs from teabag (+trafo +transistors) while its available...
Hopefully it will come to life at one point! And you are not gonna get rid of me so easily ;)
I have those horns to make also... Can't wait to start...
Thank you all again!

Joined 2012
Paid Member
As Pa said, "A shark must keep moving forward." Whereas ZM seems to have "Iron" attachment...or maybe he sees world through iron-colored glasses.:D

Attachments

• classicartoons.jpg
    classicartoons.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 386
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You people are very helpful... Thanx a lot...
I'm gonna search a bit that gainclon stuff, seems like a good way to start...

But I'm a bit infected :) I'm starting to like that m2...
I think I'm gonna get those pcbs from teabag (+trafo +transistors) while its available...
Hopefully it will come to life at one point! And you are not gonna get rid of me so easily ;)
I have those horns to make also... Can't wait to start...
Thank you all again!

Wise decision to get those parts now. Consider also an extra set of his outputs and extra set of transformers. His power supply boards are also The bomb.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I might add, if your soldering skills are good, (invest in a good solder iron set, hakko clones are cheap) you can id parts and follow detailed instructions, asking questions before proceeding, posting pics
Along with, M2 is fairly simple. Good multimeter and 2 or 3 cheap ones are good to have, but M2 really only needs one. Variac and light bulb set up good to have too.

M2 dosn't require setting bias as you power up, just test power supply first, connect boards one at time, not too hard.

F5 was my first, but I had built tube stuff previously so had good solder skill....most important.

If you find my old F5 build thread here, you can follow the frustrations of first time class A build, as well as help available here.

If you question solder skills, get extra board set. Tea's are heavy, and desoldering mistakes is a bear.

Russellc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.