Zen with lower voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm intending to build a "normal" Zen (i.e, no variation). However, the trouble begins even before I've touched anything: it seems rather difficult to get a 24 V transformator.
As I don't really need any particular amount of power, I assume I'd be fine with 18 V, which is what I can get. However, do I need to make any adjustments to the circuit, and if so, which?

Thanks everyone!

Jan

Schuro is certainly a nice-priced "audio parts" shop.
Remember you could also take a transformer with two 12VAC secondaries which you can also get at Reichelt.
Reichelt has got very good prices as well but doesn´t stock the usual parts you need for your diy-projects (like bigger heatsinks or good quality pots).

Using a lower voltage transformer is of course an option as well if you don´t need the full output power.

My zen runs on a 24VDC transformer no problem. Works pretty well I think. No parts need to be changed either I think. I didn't follow the parts on the schematic exactly, however, I used bias resistor/pot combination that I could find onhand.
--
Danny

Thanks to everyone who's replied! I'd like to answer each one, though I don't know how to deal witht his forum software. Hence I'll do it the pedestrian way.

till: I'd rather not buy from another supplier as that means postage again. Yes, I am cheap - or poor, depends on the definition of either.

joesd: I thought of using the 2 x 12 V transformer - I'd have to put the two taps in series, right?

Nelson: are any changes necessary to run it with 25 VDC?

Jan

paulb said:
I think Nelson means that you can run it as-is from 25VDC, but you can also raise the bias current for the same transistor heat dissipation because you're running from a lower voltage.
The Zen's not fussy, go for it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I changed any of the parts so that I could run it at a lower voltage. Virtually none of the parts (except the bias resistor) values are critical so I used what was onhand. You could do the same actually..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.