First Watt M2 clone, help needed ll ease

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have started building the M2. I am using a DIY speaker, "Finalist" of Jim Holtz. This is wonderful Speaker but efficiency is around 86 db. I have tested the speaker with M2 (of my friend) along with a Tube pre (DIY, 28 db gain) , and the sound quality was so wonderful that I have instantly started collecting the parts for M2. (I already have the tube pre). I have following questions to ask to the valued members:
1. Is there any scope of increasing the output watt.
2. Do I need any speaker protection and soft start switch in it.
3. Do I need to install any thermostat, or it already has.
4. Any other suggestions.

I have very shallow knowledge on electronics , my friend who is an expert is helping me for this. Looking forward for some suggestions.
Regards

1. Increase the rail voltage
1a. You'd have to cascode the Jfets
1b. Dissipation would increase = new set of considerations
1c. would still be ~15dB gain, as it is the edcor that develops the gain
2. I don't :), but I don't worry about such things. As it sits it is a rock solid design.
3. No need if your sinks are appropriate, and the design is right (did it get messed up by increasing rails?)
4. Please correct me if I am insane, or wrong

1 Not sure.
2 I don't use them and there is no problem so far.
3 There is thermistor for inrush current but no thermostat.
4 I suggest you should try m2x.
Thank you, I was thinking abt M2x but never heard it, so confused, as I have tested my speaker with it and preamp ( actually I connected M 2 with 4 pre, 2 SS and 2 tube pre, and the one I have selected out perform all, all were quality preamp but the DIY tube matched better).

1. Increase the rail voltage
1a. You'd have to cascode the Jfets
1b. Dissipation would increase = new set of considerations
1c. would still be ~15dB gain, as it is the edcor that develops the gain
2. I don't :), but I don't worry about such things. As it sits it is a rock solid design.
3. No need if your sinks are appropriate, and the design is right (did it get messed up by increasing rails?)
4. Please correct me if I am insane, or wrong

Thanks for you suggestion, I'll try to implement, though it need good electronic know how, I'll take help of my friend , who has implemented lots of DIY amp. I am really worried abt speaker protection 'cause I have previously fried my Tannoy with a DIY amp that didn't have any protection. I am also thinking about degradation of sound (if any) with china made speaker protection board.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
1) No.
2) It already has inrush protection. (soft start) I wouldn't bother with output protection.
3) Not needed if your heatsinks/case are properly sized.
4) It's a great amplifier, truly special. You'll love the project!

1. Is there any scope of increasing the output watt.
2. Do I need any speaker protection and soft start switch in it.
3. Do I need to install any thermostat, or it already has.
4. Any other suggestions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.