Firstwatt Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, noob here doing amp research. Been reading a lot on Firstwatt Amps. Would like to get my hands on one, preferably an F5. FIRST WATT F5

Anyone know where I can buy them? I've googled and have come up with nothing? Are they limited production or something?

I do understand that Pass does some DIY kits a few times a year, and I think the SIT-3 is coming out soon? But I'm still unclear as to how all of this stuff works with this company.

Someone please give me the rundown.

Thanks!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Mighty Zen Mod is one of the great contributors of this forum and that's just
his humour. That said, the first watt amps are low power (F5 is around
25W into 8 ohms) and you must work within that limit.

As Rayma mentioned, there is no single kit, but you can still keep your
ordering to a minimum.

I assume you already have something in mind for the chassis since you had mentioned
re-skinning a production F5.

From the diyaudio store, you can get an F5 parts kit minus the input jfets, the F5 pcbs,
and power supply pcb. Antek is a good source for power transformer.

The store is out of the linear LSK/LSj jfets. Fortunately genuine NOS Toshibas 2sj74/2sk170
are still available, but only from selected known good sellers.
(Most of what you see on ebay are fakes) Some sources are in this thread:

Replacement For Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74

The other electronics parts (ps caps, fuses, etc) is probably a single order from mouser or digikey.

In addition to the F5 manual ( http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_f5_man.pdf )
you should also look at the F5 turbo article:

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_f5_turbo.pdf

The most up-to-date F5 schematics is that in page 2 of this article
and the store PCB corresponds to this schematics.

Thanks Dennis.

I think for my purposes, the F5 is fine as I'm using 4ohm speakers and my speakers are around 90db at 1w and I'll be listening from 1m, and as per NPs site they do 40w so at most I'll need to increase that to 100 or 105db

My calculations are
2w = 93dB
4w = 96dB
8w = 99dB
16w = 102dB
32w = 105dB

Won't push it to 40.

From there do you think I need to consider the Turbo?

Also, getting a bit of mixed info on the parts.

Here's what I planned on buying so far to build. I contacted Jim, the person who gave me some links to look at, he has an F5 build thread.

AS-3218 - 300VA 18V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

Back panel parts kit plus PCB / Transistor / Diode mounting parts kit – diyAudio Store

F5 parts Kit – diyAudio Store

F5 – diyAudio Store

Universal PSU – diyAudio Store

He also said get these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-2S...371917?hash=item3b0bf05b8d:g:aJwAAOSw7I5TvEmk

How many do I need? Also, do you think those are fake and should I follow the link you provided?

Let me know!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.