Firstwatt Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Do you think it would be possible to build like an F5 x 1.5? Basically one full amp,
and one additional for the Sub but combine them into the same housing?
I plan on making custom housing.

Also, where do I do my volume control? I'm using a turn table
so can't be at the source. Sorry if this is a noob question.

That would be a stretch, it's best to build the SW amp in its own enclosure.
For the tt you need an RIAA stage, volume control, and line amp, all in a
separate enclosure.

For just a CD source, you could install a volume control at the input
of the F5 and not need a separate preamp.

Last edited:
For the sub you could also go active with a plate amp. Don’t know if that’s too much of a compromise together with the f5, I’ll let others chime in on that.

There are plenty of good preamp designs here on diyaudio. I’m using ba3 as pre and that’s a very easy build. You still need something more to boost the tr signal though I think...

well you should spend some time reading on this forum first.

Class A amps dissipate a lot of heat and call for big and heavy housings with heat sinks. This is even more so when they drive lower impedance speakers (like 4ohm), and bass units which demand more power.

F5 dissipates a bit less than some other kinds (e.g. Alephs).

F5 has very good bass control but also tends to emphasize the high end so speakers which are forward sounding and with a pronounced tweeter are not a good match.

To make an F5 or just trim the circuit when remounted to another set of heat sinks is not so trivial for a beginner.

for driving a sub a commercial D class amp is good enough. and the stereo speakers if chosen right might often get away with a much smaller amp like ACA which is a good start. For your very near field application in the right setup with some sensitive monitors I am pretty sure ACA could do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.