My first Pass Labs clone: Aleph (X)Ono(-ish) phone stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve been member of this forum since 2002, but somehow, I never managed to get my wife’s blessings for my DIY audio projects. I have Aleph-P and Aleph-X in my queue list, never finished them for more than a decade.

But miracle does happen. Somewhere in 2017, we visited our friend in Toulouse, who happened to have a turntable… and my wife suddenly fell in love with vinyl. So, I told my wife,

Me: “Okay, honey…. I’m going to build a Pass Lab’s phono stage for you!”
My wife: “Phono, what?!”
Me: “Well, … never mind!”

So here I am, with a high WAF, I finally COMPLETED my first DIY audio project since I joined this forum: Pass Labs (X)Ono(-ish) clone! It took me nearly one year to gather the parts, designing the PCB, and assembling the system.

The phono stage PCB:

Aleph-Ono-PCB.jpg

Testing

I haven’t tested the MC input, but with the MM input, the XLR channel works fine, as you can see in the oscilloscope, the output inverter (the -XLR) works fine (i.e. inverting the +XLR).

oscilloscope-xlr.jpg

As my wife was impatient, I bought an integrated amp Onkyo A-9010 to test the phono stage. As for the sound of this phono stage? NIRVANA! :cloud9:

My special thanks to Papa and Wayne Colburn! This is a very quite phono. I had some problem with my voltage regulator, that it was oscillating and creating a 16mVpp ripple. But the phono stage output was still very clean. Now my voltage regulator noise ripple is down to just 2mVpp, and I couldn’t be happier :rofl:

-pity you didn't started building years ago ;

-obviously you spent that time collecting some knowledge

:)

Yeah.... I told myself the same thing! Heck.... I didn't know what I'm supposed to do with ''phono'' input section in a commercial ampli until I am into vinyl :D

I grew up listening CD, and I thought that was the best music format in the world. When I listened to my vinyls with Ono, I told myself: "What was I thinking all these years!"

So I guess I'm recovering my lost years in audio :hphones:

Last edited:
PCB

I’ve been member of this forum since 2002, but somehow, I never managed to get my wife’s blessings for my DIY audio projects. I have Aleph-P and Aleph-X in my queue list, never finished them for more than a decade.

But miracle does happen. Somewhere in 2017, we visited our friend in Toulouse, who happened to have a turntable… and my wife suddenly fell in love with vinyl. So, I told my wife,

Me: “Okay, honey…. I’m going to build a Pass Lab’s phono stage for you!”
My wife: “Phono, what?!”
Me: “Well, … never mind!”

So here I am, with a high WAF, I finally COMPLETED my first DIY audio project since I joined this forum: Pass Labs (X)Ono(-ish) clone! It took me nearly one year to gather the parts, designing the PCB, and assembling the system.

The phono stage PCB:

View attachment 687005

Wow ! Amazing job. Can you sell pcb ?
Let me know.
Thanks.

Wow,
I haven't checked DIYaudio for a while, and I didn't know that there are some members interested at my boards. I'm flattered.

I made only 10 boards (note: you need 2 boards for L+R channel), so I still have 8 boards left. I would love to let go of my 6 boards.

BUT, these boards has a defect/limitation....

Firstly, the pin holes for the Q5 component (2SK389) are too small, so I have to drill them to make them bigger. As this a through hole board, you will loose the copper at the through hole pins once you drill them, so you need to solder the pins on both side of the board. With this being said, I assure you that there is no electrical connection problem.

Secondly, the boards are not multi-type component. I designed the board with specific components in mind, so the component pin spacings are of fixed length. Like for instance, I use 2 SK389 pin spacings, Wima caps, etc.

Specs of the board (you need 2 boards for L+R):
Size: 210.3 x 76.5 mm (2 layered)
Material: FR-4 TG130
Finished Copper : 2 oz Cu (there is no gold fingers. Hey, it's supposed to be a proto board:D).
Board thickness: 1.6mm

As I printed in the board, this is a non-commercial board, and I won't make any profit out of these boards, as Pass-Labs has generously supporting our community by releasing the schematic. So, the last time I checked my invoice, these 10 boards costed me about US$88 (without any shipping & handling). So that brings me about US$8.8 a board. So if you would like to have 2 boards, I only asked US$17.60 (and you have to add the shipping cost - from France - if you want me to ship the boards :D).

But again, as I stated above, it has one defect (hole size for 2SK389 too small). So, you guys still want these boards?

Last edited:
No no my comment was self deprecating, as in my first try will not look that nice so why should I even bother.

I have been staring at this site for years threatening to build a pass design but I am a noob/hack far better at speaker building than amp building (which wires are you suppose to twist again?)

No no my comment was self deprecating, as in my first try will not look that nice so why should I even bother.

I have been staring at this site for years threatening to build a pass design but I am a noob/hack far better at speaker building than amp building (which wires are you suppose to twist again?)

Hahaha ok. No hard feelings. I've been building electronics DIY projects since high school, and designed some PCBs since college, but never got the time to finish projects from diyaudio.com, until this ONO phono stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.