aleph3 transformer advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey everyone, its been awhile!

i have some free time lately, so ive been trying to finish up some of the many projects in my basement! im finally gonna finish off the aleph2;s i have down there. but in the meantime, i want to do a test run by throwing together some aleph3's. i already have the boards and all the parts (and heatsinks). the only thing i need is a transformer. i want to keep this pretty cheap, as finishing up the aleph2's will be very costly still.

i saw a thread awhile back about using avel lindbergs from partsexpress, but they have 25v secondaries... someone suggested using a CRC filter. i was unable to find that PSU software that you could calculate values...

if i could get by with this transformer, i would save some cash. they are only $60 each, whereas VM or other would be $80 and up each...

also, i will be driving a 4ohm (max) load. i have magnepans. so, would the higher voltage be beneficial? they will be well heatsinked, and i have a BOX of 26,000uf caps, so i can give them ample cap banks as well.

thanks guys! i hope to have new pictures soon.

Not being an expert, here goes (I am sure the experts will correct me if I am wrong). The Aleph 3 is designed for +/-25v rails. At 25VAC with a CLC filter (assuming you are using a Hammond 159ZL choke) you will get approximately +/- 31 to 32Vdc rails. I am pretty sure the 2 sets of IRFP244's can handle that, but I would add one more set of IRFP244's just to be sure.

Dennis Hui said:
Since you're driving a 4 ohm load, you might consider
lowering the rail voltage while cranking up the bias current.

BTW, I used a 500VA 2x20VAC transformer for my A30
and the rails were around 25VDC.

Cheers,
Dennis

any threads i can look at for examples? im still a beginner when it comes to the actual circuits of an amp. the extra bias would help im sure though... keep in mind, these are going to be JUST driving the tweeters (quasi-ribbon), where the aleph2's will be driving the bass panel.

A free psu designer widely used by diyAudio members:
http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/psud2_setup.exe

Some quotes from the aleph3 section of http://www.passdiy.com/gallery-aleph.htm:
------------------
The power supply consists of 2x18V 600VA toroid, and 22 x 4700uF
capacitors. Rail voltage under load is +/-23.5V. DC offset is less than
30mV.
------------------
Technical data:
Dual Mono design
Rail voltage: +/- 26V under load
Bias: 1.1A per transistor
300VA toroid transformer x 1, Pri:110V, Sec: 0-21V, 0-21V, shielded
------------------
I use a 500VA 2x18V transformer (common for both channels). This means that the rails are slightly lower than specs; it lags down to about +-22V. Bias is about 2.5A per channel with the resistor values given in the schematic. The rest of the psu is as simple as it gets; a 50A bridge and 8*15000uF/50V.
------------------

/Niclas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.