Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Temperature difference between L/R channels changing the sound of F5 Turbo?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2018, 04:25 AM   #1
CLiu is offline CLiu
diyAudio Member

Default Temperature difference between L/R channels changing the sound of F5 Turbo?

Hi All,

I have built and enjoyed my F5T Turbo for a number of years. While enjoying the amp, I notice that the tonal balance, sound stage depth, imaging of the amp changes if there is a relative difference between the heatsinks of the L/R channels. If I keep the air in the room still (therefore ensuring that they heat up equally) from turn-on, the sound I get is fantastic, with a wide and well lit sound stage, precise imaging, and very good bottom end. However, If I have the fan or air-conditioning on, I notice that the difference in air flowing towards different sides of the chasis will result in noticeable difference in the tempartures of the heatsinks (just feeling using my hands, didnt measure the actual temperatures), the result I get is then totally different, with the image skewed to one side, and weak bottom end. Is this my imagination?

Best regards
Liu
Old 4th June 2018, 05:56 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

rotate amp for 90 deg , then check again
Old 4th June 2018, 06:42 AM   #3
CLiu is offline CLiu
diyAudio Member

Thanks Zen Mod, I will try and report back.
Old 4th June 2018, 06:50 AM   #4
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

brain can be tricky

did you first spotted temp. difference , then funny sound , or ..... ?
Old 4th June 2018, 07:37 AM   #5
CLiu is offline CLiu
diyAudio Member

Yes. Very deceiving brain...:-)

The sound has been inconsistent from the beginning, with the imaging always shifting. I always thought it was my brain playing with me, and I didnt suspect the culprit was the temperature. Until one day I unintentionally put a piece of card board in front of the left side of the chassis, and after a while noticed the image shifted a bit. So this led to a larger card board, and more difference. And it dawn on me that it might have something to do with the temperature of heatsinks on different sides of the chassis. And I removed the card board and and waited for around 30 minutes and put my hand on the heat sinks. The temperatures were slightly different, with the one on the left slightly cooler, coz it was facing the flow of air from the front, while the heatsinks on the right side was blocked by the loudspeaker which was directly in front. Then the cardboard went back again, and with it there, the temperature on both sides are closer to each other. So here I am with the question....haha....
Old 4th June 2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

there is a possibility that you have Iq close to conduction treshold for diodes ......

back up with Iq , say , for 10% ....... then try temp. test again
Old 7th June 2018, 03:58 AM   #7
CLiu is offline CLiu
diyAudio Member

Alright Zen Mod, I am going to try this when I finish my MoFo (just to make sure I dont screw things up in the process of adjusting the Iq and then have no music after that), :-)

Temperature difference between L/R channels changing the sound of F5 Turbo?Hide this!Advertise here!