a suitable transistor substitution for Delite amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Possibly something like DC60V 350W 5.9A Switching Power Supply 115V/230V to Stepper Motor DIY CNC Router 705701867807 | eBay might be a markedly cheaper option than the requisite transformer...

Possibly safer too. You could prep each in such a way to make the mains impossible to access. Either seal it in silicon after attaching, or box them up.

You know, the more we discuss this, the more I am wondering if the ACA is a better option. Safe, complete, relatively cheap (and certainly a bargain for what you get!) and superbly documented.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
What power output do you NEED ??

Remember the motto of some wise guy: "First Watt! (is most important)". You really can get a lot of pleasant sound with only one Watt.

The resistor- (or lamp-)loaded scheme is about the worst possible for efficiency. If you aim for many-Watt levels, it scales to many-many Watt supplies and sinks. Pass was thinking of semi-affluent hobbyists, not an under-funded school.

The ACA is a much lesser investment, intended to suck victims into addiction. Ummm, spread the joy with the timid?

It doesn't look very well sanded?

Yes indeed,
It was my first hand experience in building an audio amplifier, that copper plate is warped as you can see by the wet sanding on a piece of 10mm glass.
A learning curve fo an amateur like myself (without the Pass Labs forum, I never could understand about bias, positive feedback and sit).
My first amp did not sound like an angel as expected due to the use of mosfet (the IRFP7430 i got at hand), but perseverance, patience and passion would help me to enjoy the audio diying, that how my environment is.

YouTube

George,
I don't remember the exact details, but a stereo De-Lite is wonderfully inefficient and requires a transformer in the >600VA range.

;)There are some who call me...

I did the math from Nelson’s Zen 1 article and found that I’m good with the 100 VA - IF I ONLY WANT ONE CHANEL D’Oh :eek:
56V x 0.8A x 2 bulbs (one on each channel) x 2 channels 180 VA
So a 200VA 20V Toroidal it is.

And yeah the ACA would make my life easier, as farr as cost it seems to be about a wash at this point. I’m sticking with the Zen for its simplicity and the non-kit aspect. Remember this is a teaching tool (not just a gateway ……… to diy :rofl: )

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sadly, I'm afraid not!

If you read through a few of the first watt articles you'll realise you're going to need a lot more transformer than that...

I did the math from Nelson’s Zen 1 article and found that I’m good with the 100 VA - IF I ONLY WANT ONE CHANEL D’Oh :eek:
56V x 0.8A x 2 bulbs (one on each channel) x 2 channels 180 VA
So a 200VA 20V Toroidal it is.

And yeah the ACA would make my life easier, as farr as cost it seems to be about a wash at this point. I’m sticking with the Zen for its simplicity and the non-kit aspect. Remember this is a teaching tool (not just a gateway ……… to diy :rofl: )

Aspringv can yo be a bit more specific. Nelson has a nice collection of articles and to read through each one until I found what you might have been referencing is daunting and I would never get my P.O. in on time (as in its already late :eek: :spin: ). So far I’ve be rereading the Zen 1 and F5 articles. Taking in a little more each time.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sure.

1) Transformers = playing with mains power = potential for serious consequences (death, cardiac arrest, serious burns). Whatever you do here will have to be safe and ...curious studentproof. I did an electrical apprenticeship later in life, and I'm amazed all the 16-18 yo's in my class survived the labs... No through anything other than not thinking things through.

2) http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_delite.pdf the transfo reccomended is a -minimum- of 350VA.

Per channel.

Last edited:
In that article I saw 300 W heat disapatation for each channel. I’m going to be building the Zen 1.

In that article Nelson writes
For figuring out the VA rating, use Figure 3 to determine the current drawn by a single bulb for the DC voltage you have chosen (interpolate for a 200 watt bulb). Now multiply this current by the voltage and then by the total number of light bulbs and then by 2. This is the VA rating of the transformer. The factor of 2 times the actual power draw of the circuit covers the "power factor" of the AC to DC conversion and allows a little more for margin. You are encouraged to consider this as a minimum figure.
page 7 of the Zen 1 article.

Did I miss something in my calculations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.