Best 1st amp:AlephX, 5 or a Zen?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
first you should determinate your requirements.What kind of speakers will you drive with the amp to build?

efficiency, impdance.

What size is your listening room, how load will you play?

Well... that's sounds practical and makes sense. A little too much sense if you ask me :dodgy: I say this mantra all the time :hypno2: It's not about NEED, it's WANT :darkside: Repeat 10 times every hour and you'll see the light :hypno1:

I could see myself building this amp way in excess, then justifying that as reason to go build some new speakers, (or get a home with more room) :D

Seriously though -- I don't think I want it to be constrained by other equipment since I plan on constantly building, tweaking, adding more stuff, getting rid of other stuff ... well you get the idea. For now, it's a small room with either some ~88dB DIY bookshelfs or a pair of MMGs.

ok, with those 88dB small speakers i would go for aleph or alephx.

If you plan to build large speakers (the real speakers!) large listening room, a house thats large enough for real speakers playing real music, more larger speakers, larger room, and so on... (as i do)

I would build a ZEN. And one more ZEN, and tri amping ZENs, then maybe a small alephx for bass and ZEN for treble, and so on...

Aleph is good.

rif,

Having built all of them, I would recommend the aleph 5 as well. I still love my ZEN but can't play it loud enough for my speakers ~87db.

The aleph 5 has most of the challenges that the aleph x has but is no where near as sensitive to mismatched devices and generates alot less heat.

The risk vs. reward is much better. The reward for a well built aleph 5 is pure bliss.

the aleph x is more pure bliss but not a quantum leap for the amount of effort and money spent.

If you build an aleph 5 vs aleph x you could take te extra money and build a real nice bal line stage.

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.