The diyAudio First Watt M2x

ok, so my current speakers are rated at 85db. i guess that would make it easy to make the amp seem quiet. but also the m2 might not have enough juice, will it?

on the other hand, i currently use an amp with roughly twice the output power and a gain of 26 and rarely turn the volume beyond 12 o'clock.
Build the M2, change the speakers if it doesn't suit them. ;-)

My current speakers are 86db and with shorted inputs my Aleph J is dead silent so to speak and otherwise drives the speakers just fine in a medium sized room. While the wattage to an M2 is the same into 8ohms, from all I’m reading the M2 is even quieter. If you build it right I don’t think you’ll have any issues.

Why not investigate an "Eastern Hemisphere Group Buy" for the Edcor transformers?

Find a volunteer with lots of spare time, who lives in the Eastern Hemisphere. Convince her/him to run a diyAudio group buy of Edcor transformers, only for diyAudio members who also live in the Eastern Hemisphere.

When a large number of people have committed to buy Edcor transformers from the Group Buy, the volunteer places one order for (let's just say) 90 transformers, and pays the very high FedEx shipping fee from Edcor/USA to Eastern Hemisphere. Then the volunteer opens the big shipping box, and repackages the transformers into individual shipping cartons. These are shipped to all of the Group Buy participants, hopefully at a low shipping cost. Perhaps this procedure results in a lower total price {and a longer wait time!} for everybody.

Of course, many people may decide that it is SO much more convenient if somebody else (not themselves) becomes the volunteer Group Buy organizer. Thus it might not be easy to find a volunteer organizer. But why not do a preliminary investigation anyway?

Nice idea, and I'd be willing to volunteer for this.

BUT - as MEPER pointed out - there seems to be a european distributor.

https://www.don-audio.com

So I guess a group buy would probably not make sense and be unfair for the distributor.

Why not investigate an "Eastern Hemisphere Group Buy" for the Edcor transformers?

Thanks, Mark for the idea. Since I‘ve been a very ‚passive‘ member of this forum (asking lots of questions and nothing to offer in return :p ) I decided to give back to the community by taking the initative on this.

I‘m alraedy in touch with Aaron from Don Audio and trying to work out the details for a group buy, diyAudio discount or similar.

In the meantime lets,try to figure out how many people from Europe would be interested in buying the Edcor PC600/15 transformers in the near future. For now I believe its:

Mixi (me): two pieces
Joca: two pieces

anyone else?