The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Feel free to try whatever you wish, it's your M2 after all. At the moment I'm running an Adcom solid state phonostage+preamp into my M2x, and enjoying the music that combination produces. Also negotiating to lay hands on additional preamp type gear, hopefully in Q1.

I just tried it on Teabag M2 board by cutting two traces and jumper from input to C2. Connected Aksa Lender pre and sounds great. No noise, hum, etc whatsoever. Never heard the M2 this good actually.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/sol...pass-hybrid-m2-alph-m2-amp-3.html#post5604098

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've used both the Ishikawa and the Mtn. View with the same result. I've tried two sources, a Integra cd player and a cambridge audio cxn.

connect any type of source you have , capable of producing sine wave of Fq anything from 400 to 1000Hz , to be able to use simple DVM

no load at amp output , increase input level to measure few volts at output of amp with your DVM set to 20Vac

then just measure input level (without disconnecting source from amp , to maintain actual load)

write here what you measured

Joined 2016
Paid Member
M2x Daughter Board input stage reviews

Hello All,
I know this topic has come up a few times already, albeit without any specific answers or opinions, but since the M2x has been out for a while I thought we could hopefully begin to have builders start to share their impressions of the different inputs if they’ve tried out more than one?

I’m only a week into finishing my M2x with the Ishikawa front end and letting it age or “break-in”, and contemplating which front end to try next. I’d love to hear what others have to say about their choice, and how it may compare to the ishikawa.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You've already got the bare PCBoards, the electronic parts are dirt cheap compared to Ishikawa, why not build them all? One guy here on this thread has already built the first five input stages and is now building the not for sale at any price, whispered, rumored Moffet Field for his sixth.

You'll never know which one sounds best TO YOU until you've tried them all.

Then, since you can see the circuit designs as plain as day, and measure them to your heart's content if you wish, you can have fun hypothesizing about WHY the Austin circuit sounds the best to you. It must be that dual complementary diamond circuit which cleverly cancels distortion. Or maybe you'll end up preferring the single ended class A Mountain View ... because most vacuum tube preamps are single ended class A. Endless amusement and entertainment.

_

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
You've already got the bare PCBoards, the electronic parts are dirt cheap compared to Ishikawa, why not build them all? One guy here on this thread has already built the first five input stages and is now building the not for sale at any price, whispered, rumored Moffet Field for his sixth.

You'll never know which one sounds best TO YOU until you've tried them all.

Then, since you can see the circuit designs as plain as day, and measure them to your heart's content if you wish, you can have fun hypothesizing about WHY the Austin circuit sounds the best to you. It must be that dual complementary diamond circuit which cleverly cancels distortion. Or maybe you'll end up preferring the single ended class A Mountain View ... because most vacuum tube preamps are single ended class A. Endless amusement and entertainment.

_

Hi Mark, I wasn’t suggesting that my next input stage choice would be based on someone else’s findings or preferences. I’m just curious what others are hearing. All of the amplifier builds on the DiyAudio site have a sound signature that builders have shared, and are of interest to others as well. We’ve all purchased audio equipment based on our own reasearch and the suggestion of others at one point or another. If the different FW amplifiers didn’t have a different character, even as presented by Nelson Pass in his descriptions, the interest to build another of his or anyone else’s creations might not exist. This is the basis for my curiousity.

I couldn't agree more with JSA1971. I don't see why every time someone asks about how others feel about each board, the answer is: build them all.

Why can't it be both? Build them all, sure, and all the other variants your heart desire, but why nor share your thoughts about it? Maybe someone says: "I loved the base on input X", and other thinks: "hmmm... I was listening for detail, but didn't try some base tracks, good idea".

Why is it that everyone has to keep their impressions to themselves?

I have asked for this repeatedly and got ONE answer that actually addressed the topic.

If no one will answer, would someone at least tell me why is no one commenting on the merits of each daughter board? It really puzzles me.

Best regards,
Rafa.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
How many people have built all the stages and had the time to listen to them all? And form an opinion? And have the ability to write words about sound?

Here’s what I can tell you... I’ve built exactly one stereo pair, the SMD Tucson, and all the rest have been languishing away with only one side built as I’m saving them for when I have time to photograph them properly for the guide.

So I haven’t even heard them all.

I do know that the Tucson has sonic qualities that isn’t making me want to rush out and try something else, as it sounds beguilingly wonderful. :) I’m sure I’ll have some opinions once I hear them all, but in the time being, I’m going to enjoy my M2x(Tucson).

If you want to know the differences yourself, please build them.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Maybe you can find a volunteer, to create and maintain The Big List Of M2x Posts Which Include Listening Evaluations. My foggy & unreliable memory is, up till now there have been about a dozen such posts, sprinkled throughout the thread. I think I remember (but could be wrong!)

One person built Ishikawa and Tucson, heard no significant differences ; another built Ishikawa and Mountain View and Austin, loved MV, hated Austin, found Ishikawa just O.K. ; another person built Norwood and hated it ; another person built everything except Ishikawa and liked Austin & Tucson, did not like MV and Norwood ; another person built Norwood and Ishikawa, liked both but preferred Norwood ... etc. etc.

It certainly won't be me doing this project, I've got plenty of other things to keep me busy. But perhaps there's someone else here on this thread, who strongly feels this kind of resource is urgently needed, and who is willing to devote themselves to the task. If so then I'm confident that many people will be very grateful for their efforts.

BTW I think the very first Listening Evaluation might have been written by 6L6 (post #228) in which he praises the M2x sound using the Tucson IPS boards.

connect any type of source you have , capable of producing sine wave of Fq anything from 400 to 1000Hz , to be able to use simple DVM

no load at amp output , increase input level to measure few volts at output of amp with your DVM set to 20Vac

then just measure input level (without disconnecting source from amp , to maintain actual load)

write here what you measured

At max volume I can't get the volts at output to go past 700 mV

How many people have built all the stages and had the time to listen to them all? And form an opinion? And have the ability to write words about sound?

Personally, I would prefer to form my own interpretations of the M2x variants without having my mind clouded in suggestions as to what I might hear.

Perhaps a separate thread for those who wish to share their listening impressions would be in order. It would be cool if we could create a thread where you have to post your impressions before being given access to the discussion to read others. That way the "me, too" factor would be minimized, at least in the listener's first post.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Maybe you can find a volunteer, to create and maintain The Big List Of M2x Posts Which Include Listening Evaluations. My foggy & unreliable memory is, up till now there have been about a dozen such posts, sprinkled throughout the thread. I think I remember (but could be wrong!)

One person built Ishikawa and Tucson, heard no significant differences ; another built Ishikawa and Mountain View and Austin, loved MV, hated Austin, found Ishikawa just O.K. ; another person built Norwood and hated it ; another person built everything except Ishikawa and liked Austin & Tucson, did not like MV and Norwood ; another person built Norwood and Ishikawa, liked both but preferred Norwood ... etc. etc.

It certainly won't be me doing this project, I've got plenty of other things to keep me busy. But perhaps there's someone else here on this thread, who strongly feels this kind of resource is urgently needed, and who is willing to devote themselves to the task. If so then I'm confident that many people will be very grateful for their efforts.

BTW I think the very first Listening Evaluation might have been written by 6L6 (post #228) in which he praises the M2x sound using the Tucson IPS boards.

I don’t remember asking for anyone to create a table or list of listening evaluations and cataloguing everyone’s opionions, or a scorecard as to which input builders and listeners found best. The Listening impressions that others have are a valid interest and is the basis for any review put forward, whether by a member of this forum who just truly enjoys music, diy, and the fun and sometimes relaxing benefits of taking on a project, or a review by 6 Moons, Audiofile Magazine or any other publication that shares listening impressions of audio equipment. I’m not sure why this seems to be such a sore point? Maybe, if this is the case everyone should just start saying “it worked” and go away quietly instead of sharing what they’ve found.

Sorry for asking...

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Personally, I would prefer to form my own interpretations of the M2x variants without having my mind clouded in suggestions as to what I might hear.

Perhaps a separate thread for those who wish to share their listening impressions would be in order. It would be cool if we could create a thread where you have to post your impressions before being given access to the discussion to read others. That way the "me, too" factor would be minimized, at least in the listener's first post.

That’s sounds like a reasonable response, and would possibly minimize the placebo effect.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Google Advanced Search might be a convenient & easy tool to find M2x listening evaluations without having to read every . single . post .

To name an example, this query about the Tucson input stage found only 25 hits, out of the 875 posts in this thread. That doesn't seem like gigantic crushing burden, to read 25 posts. I'm sure that folks with very strong "Google Fu", much stronger than mine, can come up with better queries which find a larger number of desirable posts, and reject a higher percentage of undesirable hits.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Google Advanced Search might be a convenient & easy tool to find M2x listening evaluations without having to read every . single . post .

To name an example, this query about the Tucson input stage found only 25 hits, out of the 875 posts in this thread. That doesn't seem like gigantic crushing burden, to read 25 posts. I'm sure that folks with very strong "Google Fu", much stronger than mine, can come up with better queries which find a larger number of desirable posts, and reject a higher percentage of undesirable hits.

Thanks for pointing that out Mark, it is a forgotten but sometimes tricky tool to use. Someone might even come across post number 746 where you ask if anyone is interested in listening to a few new daughter boards and giving their listening impressions 😉

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ah yes, post #746. Seeking help with IPS circuit designs #7, 8, and 9:

I've got a small number of new designs for an M2x daughterboard, and I'm asking for help with critical listening. These daughterboards measure reasonably well, but how do they sound? I have my own opinions, and I also seek the opinions of others.

If you've got a working M2x,

AND if you're willing to listen to one or more new daughterboard designs,

AND if you're willing to send me your notes and conclusions and remarks, MONTHS BEFORE you publicly release them to other people,

AND if you've already built, listened to, and publicly reviewed AT LEAST THREE of the five daughter cards (I, MV, N, A, T) which ship with M2x,

THEN I'd like to send you a sequence of daughterboards for audition. Take as much time as you need (but of course I prefer sooner!), and keep each pair of daughterboards with my compliments, when you finish the review. Or throw them away if you despise their sound. When you hand in your review of CandidateX I'll send you Candidate(X+1) etc.​

Maybe, working together, we can discover which of these new daughterboards deserve a wide release. Most of them? A few of them? None of them? Depends on the general trend of the reviews. If the other reviewers and I happen to disagree with your opinion, please don't become viciously angry. It's just entertainment after all.

If interested & qualified, please shoot me a PM.

as I said - you need to measure both output and input

having just one of these is same useful as one leg , while climbing to Everest

then post here what you measured

it'll be useful to see some pictures too

Sorry, since I wasn't getting a few volts at output I didn't measure input. Thought it might indicate something else was a problem. At half volume on the pre amp, I'm get 18 mV at both output and input.

kuAh7iYm.jpg

wms1i9Em.jpg

uu3vWjwm.jpg

3Px42Sum.jpg

yboILxam.jpg

Link to imgur album DIY First Watt M2.X - Album on Imgur

Last edited: