Aleph 3 Upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you are right but as passed 50 years we can't hear any highs i stay focus on the rest :)

perhaps changing the feedbach capacitor from 220uf to 470uf and mosfet input to jfet change something in the bass feedbach ?

another thing , even with 132000uf on each rail the power supply noise ( 120hz) is still present with a 96db driver is transforming plain C power supply
in CRC will help a lot? or fancy rectifier ?

or do you think late night's sessions are also overrated ?:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if you can arrange CRC with 0R1 , go for it

you can play with two things to slightly accommodate sound - either play with Aleph CCS modulation (put trimpot instead of R114) , or play with current through input LTP ( no more than 6.5mA per JFet ) , for what you need variable R106 , and R108- to keep 0mV DC offset

thanks ZM , CRC mod seems difficult on the stock PCB but i will see if it's possible .

i have changed the stock bridge rectifier with a cree shottky , it doesn't harm at all :D

change 114 with 1K trimpot is it the way reducing or increasing bias or is it something else ?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
R114 - Aleph CCS AC Gain ...... in layman terms - measure of upper half contribution in output swing

fiddling with that is not involving any other re-setting ...... Iq stays the same , output offset stays the same

even better - in place of it solder headers/sockets for resistor pins ; then you can play with it , without headache how to set two channels identical (as is case with trimpot)

zen , did the CRC mod mod on the stcok PCB with a saw :D not the best looking but it is under . so now ihave on each rail 66000u / 0;1R/66000u and shottky rectifier. mucho much silence !! and clean sounding .

i will stay like this and finishing the burn-in . sounds very good right now :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
2 bridges yup, if secondaries can be separated

10uF bypass - if you are happier ,why not

5W Mills - if you are happier , why not

also , one cap across each secondary, by attached table ; without using Quasimodo , that's best option

Attachments

• cap-on-the-ac-side-of-a-rectifier.jpg
    cap-on-the-ac-side-of-a-rectifier.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 420
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.