What to build after ACA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The BA-1 with BA-3 front end is like the ACA, single ended but more refined. The F4 is an excellent choice for PP. The BA-2 with BA-3 is a more complete F4 with front end included. No culls with any choice. If you do not own horns the F5 is easier to build with a loyal following for those with conventional speakers. No culls with any Firstwatt clone choice you make.

We have another round of VFETs coming to the store.....

black-friday-crowd1.jpg

i'm currently building an Aleph J and have all the parts to build a F6 immediately after BUT should I hold off on the F6 and build up the power supply in anticipation for this new Vfet assuming the tranny I have (20x2) will work? If this new amp is far out, ill just build the F6 as planned but if its coming out soon, I just may hold off.

HA- I'm still wrestling with the question of what to build next! I have 95% of the parts for 6 or 7 of Papa's excellent designs, plus that neat little gem with the massive chokes that MR shared with us. All of the amps mentioned above are on my list - I just need more time and some additional rack space to hold them...

HA- I'm still wrestling with the question of what to build next! I have 95% of the parts for 6 or 7 of Papa's excellent designs, plus that neat little gem with the massive chokes that MR shared with us. All of the amps mentioned above are on my list - I just need more time and some additional rack space to hold them...

Great sounds like getting a tattoo, you get one and next thing you know you have a brand new back piece. Sigh...

Yep - it's an illness. It all started 17 years ago for me when I built my first DIY amp - Nelson's a40...

I agree but obsession is a better word for me. More of a diy hobby to occupy my retirement time. I would have to think about which FW clone I have not built. Right now I have 6 complete ones and the boards I have replaced for the others that I have tried. Build the BA-1 and BA-2 with BA-3 boards and you will have the best examples in my book. Pay attention to matching the output mosfets and to my way of thinking you will have close to a Passlabs amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.