Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

What to build after ACA?
What to build after ACA?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2018, 08:02 PM   #51
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

What to build after ACA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk Dynamite View Post
The only reason I'm reluctant to build the M2 is due to me building (in the process) the Aleph J.
If you start building another one before you finish the last one, you will
end up like me.
Old 24th April 2018, 08:03 PM   #52
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

What to build after ACA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
So it is "only" nice sounding relative to its price? .....not nice sounding in absolute terms?
It's questionable that such a thing as absolute even exists for this.
Old 24th April 2018, 08:23 PM   #53
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

What to build after ACA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
If you start building another one before you finish the last one, you will end up like me.
AWESOME - now I have more in common with Papa!
Old 24th April 2018, 08:51 PM   #54
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's questionable that such a thing as absolute even exists for this.

Yes...maybe.....I was just a bit disappointed to hear the ACA is "only" nice compared to its price. Is that good or bad or what does it tell about the sound?

I am quite confident it will sound good on my speakers as they need little power and it seems even "hard core" FirstWatt builders build the ACA.

It seems to have something in common with my 300B in simplicity which
now is simpler than the schematic as the 100R humpot has been removed and 7805 is now a Rod Coleman current generator. Know this is not a tube forum......but the ACA could look a bit like a "Solid State tube amp" and the reason I want to build it ....I would never build a bipolar class A/B PP amp.....I have had plenty of those :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3705.jpg (373.1 KB, 187 views)
Old 24th April 2018, 09:12 PM   #55
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

What to build after ACA?
it's cheap and it's easy to build

make it and trust your own judgment , who cares what anybody else is saying?
Old 24th April 2018, 09:27 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Yes, and I already made the first modification as the NFB resistors are 33.2k and 121k HOLCO 0.1 % types to get a little higher input impednace. I will start with passive preamp and develop from there. Therefor I needed a bit higher input impedance. I am a bit unsure if it wil cause more noise as there must be a reason why a relative low input impednace was choosen from the start. But it can be changed if it does not work. Then a preamp could be the next project.....after the ACA. My DAC also have a preamp mode.....it is just not so good as it is done in digital domaine in the DSP.
Old 24th April 2018, 10:38 PM   #57
coolnose is offline coolnose  Europe
diyAudio Member

You have read the ACA thread, right?
Old 24th April 2018, 11:15 PM   #58
Blk Dynamite is online now Blk Dynamite  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you start building another one before you finish the last one, you will
end up like me.

Sounds good to me! Ha
Old 25th April 2018, 05:34 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnose View Post
You have read the ACA thread, right?

A lot of it I have read. There are many posts......
I have not found info why 10k of input impedance was choosen......but ZM wrote that it was possible to double up the NFB resistors and I have 3 times the values.....so hope it is ok.
Old 25th April 2018, 07:04 AM   #60
MrBoat is offline MrBoat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
Yes...maybe.....I was just a bit disappointed to hear the ACA is "only" nice compared to its price. Is that good or bad or what does it tell about the sound?

I am quite confident it will sound good on my speakers as they need little power and it seems even "hard core" FirstWatt builders build the ACA.

It seems to have something in common with my 300B in simplicity which
now is simpler than the schematic as the 100R humpot has been removed and 7805 is now a Rod Coleman current generator. Know this is not a tube forum......but the ACA could look a bit like a "Solid State tube amp" and the reason I want to build it ....I would never build a bipolar class A/B PP amp.....I have had plenty of those :-)
The ACA sounds very nice. I could live with these amps from here on out. It's been on an average of 7hrs every night. Over the weekend I really cranked them for some music marathon listening. They are playing as I type this.

Some people that build a lot of electronics may take some of these simpler circuits for granted but, as a critical listener, these amps can be considered as good as it needs to be.

To the contrary, simple amps that sound as good as these do should make one question instead, what it is we pay thousands of dollars for otherwise.

What to build after ACA?Hide this!Advertise here!