The right kind of inductor!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Oon,

C'mon, buddy.

Horse.

Water.

We've led you right there.

Drink and enjoy. :)

Or, try something else and see what happens.

Attachments

• horsewater.jpg
    horsewater.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 237
Well, you see. I have already built many amps based on that configuration. Yup I have built based on the Hammond 159 60mH 2A and the 193V 150mH 3A. However they are quite expensive. Now here I have some AC choke at $10 of comparable value. So the question is will it work too, if not, why? I have read somewhere you need to give a lot more allowance as the DC +AC will give a higher peak current. So you need the extra allowance not to saturate the core.

So you can bring a horse to water, but I am curious, what if you gave it beer.

As far as my theory can tell, as long as you don't saturate the core and the core doesn't become ferro magnetic, it should work.

So I am still looking for someone to tell me physically why it will not work..

Oon

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The common-mode choke expects the large current to -cancel- in the core. Power goes in one winding, out the other winding, no core flux.

Alternate reality-check: Michael is using the 2.5 Pound choke just as it was made to be used (large DC and small-to-large AC). The RN152-- is 2.5 *ounces*, 1/16 the stuff in it (and near 1/16 the cost). Is Hammond not smart enough to do it better? Or are they really aimed at *different* jobs, one about 1/16 the "stuff" of the other due to imperfect cancellation?

But hey, 4 bucks is less than lunch. Do it. (You may need added resistance to have something to DC bias on.) My expectation is, with high unbalanced DC current, the inductance will go-away 99%, lower cut-off above 1KHz.

The common-mode choke expects the large current to -cancel- in the core. Power goes in one winding, out the other winding, no core flux.

Alternate reality-check: Michael is using the 2.5 Pound choke just as it was made to be used (large DC and small-to-large AC). The RN152-- is 2.5 *ounces*, 1/16 the stuff in it (and near 1/16 the cost). Is Hammond not smart enough to do it better? Or are they really aimed at *different* jobs, one about 1/16 the "stuff" of the other due to imperfect cancellation?

But hey, 4 bucks is less than lunch. Do it. (You may need added resistance to have something to DC bias on.) My expectation is, with high unbalanced DC current, the inductance will go-away 99%, lower cut-off above 1KHz.
Ah... More like what I was looking for. So for common mode choke, the two coils are wound to oppose each other and cancel the balanced signal.

So the inductor only sees the difference in the signal between the two lines. So you reckon if I put DC through it, I might saturate the core?

Might give it a shot to see what happens, just part of learning..

Oon

Another note about the common mode choke is it needs much fewer turns to get 68MH. This is because it it has a higher permiability (guessing more than 10) compared to the Hammond choke (maybe 5).
Higher permiability cores saturate much easier which is not good for a MOFO amp.
You might get half a watt or less before saturation becomes a problem.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So you can bring a horse to water, but I am curious, what if you gave it beer...

:cheers:

I'll buy you a beer. I've tried all kinds of chokes, iron and air core crossover inductors, etc. I haven't tried a common mode choke like the one you're interested in. My guess based on reality is that you'll be seeing a lot of distortion at best.

But as you say, it's only $4 so why don't you try it and let us know how it works out. :)

I am looking for an inductor in local market for this amp, where they will build it as per the given specification. I have provided the ratings as 50mH, 2amp DC, 0.7ohm. But they are asking what type of choke/inductor, whether 3 phase choke etc.
So do we need to say that its not a common mode choke?
Could you please suggest what specification and info of type of inductor/choke, we need to provide the vendor for the inductor/choke which will be suitable for MoFo amp?
(i think for them application of chokes for amps is little uncommon, and asking for more info of the type i need)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.