Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The right kind of inductor!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2018, 06:48 PM   #21
Michael Rothacher is offline Michael Rothacher  United States
AudioMaker.Tech
diyAudio Member

Oon,

C'mon, buddy.

Horse.

Water.

We've led you right there.

Drink and enjoy.

Or, try something else and see what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horsewater.jpg (90.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 16th April 2018, 12:02 AM   #22
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Well, you see. I have already built many amps based on that configuration. Yup I have built based on the Hammond 159 60mH 2A and the 193V 150mH 3A. However they are quite expensive. Now here I have some AC choke at $10 of comparable value. So the question is will it work too, if not, why? I have read somewhere you need to give a lot more allowance as the DC +AC will give a higher peak current. So you need the extra allowance not to saturate the core.

So you can bring a horse to water, but I am curious, what if you gave it beer.

As far as my theory can tell, as long as you don't saturate the core and the core doesn't become ferro magnetic, it should work.

So I am still looking for someone to tell me physically why it will not work..

Oon
Old 16th April 2018, 02:38 AM   #23
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

The common-mode choke expects the large current to -cancel- in the core. Power goes in one winding, out the other winding, no core flux.

Alternate reality-check: Michael is using the 2.5 Pound choke just as it was made to be used (large DC and small-to-large AC). The RN152-- is 2.5 *ounces*, 1/16 the stuff in it (and near 1/16 the cost). Is Hammond not smart enough to do it better? Or are they really aimed at *different* jobs, one about 1/16 the "stuff" of the other due to imperfect cancellation?

But hey, 4 bucks is less than lunch. Do it. (You may need added resistance to have something to DC bias on.) My expectation is, with high unbalanced DC current, the inductance will go-away 99%, lower cut-off above 1KHz.
Old 16th April 2018, 03:22 AM   #24
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
The common-mode choke expects the large current to -cancel- in the core. Power goes in one winding, out the other winding, no core flux.

Alternate reality-check: Michael is using the 2.5 Pound choke just as it was made to be used (large DC and small-to-large AC). The RN152-- is 2.5 *ounces*, 1/16 the stuff in it (and near 1/16 the cost). Is Hammond not smart enough to do it better? Or are they really aimed at *different* jobs, one about 1/16 the "stuff" of the other due to imperfect cancellation?

But hey, 4 bucks is less than lunch. Do it. (You may need added resistance to have something to DC bias on.) My expectation is, with high unbalanced DC current, the inductance will go-away 99%, lower cut-off above 1KHz.
Ah... More like what I was looking for. So for common mode choke, the two coils are wound to oppose each other and cancel the balanced signal.

So the inductor only sees the difference in the signal between the two lines. So you reckon if I put DC through it, I might saturate the core?

Might give it a shot to see what happens, just part of learning..

Oon
Old 16th April 2018, 03:27 AM   #25
daqvin_carter is offline daqvin_carter  United States
diyAudio Member

Another note about the common mode choke is it needs much fewer turns to get 68MH. This is because it it has a higher permiability (guessing more than 10) compared to the Hammond choke (maybe 5).
Higher permiability cores saturate much easier which is not good for a MOFO amp.
You might get half a watt or less before saturation becomes a problem.
Old 16th April 2018, 05:09 AM   #26
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

core saturation.

'nuff said.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:14 AM   #27
Michael Rothacher is offline Michael Rothacher  United States
AudioMaker.Tech
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
So you can bring a horse to water, but I am curious, what if you gave it beer...

I'll buy you a beer. I've tried all kinds of chokes, iron and air core crossover inductors, etc. I haven't tried a common mode choke like the one you're interested in. My guess based on reality is that you'll be seeing a lot of distortion at best.

But as you say, it's only $4 so why don't you try it and let us know how it works out.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:19 AM   #28
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

well , I had my share of brilliant ideas , no doubt

knowing my self , I'm not yet finished .......

The right kind of inductor!Hide this!Advertise here!