SIT-3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just had a wardrobe malfunction. :)

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Attachments

• rick.jpg
    rick.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3,205
Very smart implemented CCS load for SIT active device. I have tested output stage, with KP801G SIT as active device, and CCS was made as paralleled KP903A jFETs. Actually, it is, from very general look, the Ciuffolli-like stage, that is good for sound from my listening impressions.
Nice to see the NoGNFB design, but the DF=30 indicated seems difficult to achieve with SIT active device. I expected, that if output impedance is around 0,25 Ohms with power MOSFET in active device position, with SIT it should be higher.
In spite of this, I congratulate with further exploration of new solutions.

Vladimir, what do you mean by "CCS load for SIT active device" ?
SIT-3 schematic shows a push-pull arrangement of N-channel SIT and P-channel MOSFET in the output stage.
SIT is depletion mode device and the MOSFET is an enhancement mode device and although they get same voltage on gates they act differently - when SIT's Id increases, the Id through MOSFET decreases (and vice versa) so that's push-pull operation...

Attachments

• sit3.gif
    sit3.gif
    30 KB · Views: 1,486
Last edited:
I see, my fault, Nelson says explicitely it is push-pull. I could suppose that the diagram is not complete, and there could be something additional, making the P-MOSFET as CCS. But, with push-pull, we do not get advantages of Ciuffolli-like stage, and unclear how this is achieved:
"Besides the unusual DEF / SIT output stage, you might notice the inverted power supply, which dramatically reduces supply noise
seen by the SIT."
Influence of PS rail is greatly reduced in Ciuffolli-like stage.

It's achieved by GND taking the role of positive rail so low-resistant SIT's Drain gets grounded, sees no ripple and the output stays undisturbed.
MOSFET Drain's impedance is a lot higher which makes it much more impervious to ripple from -V rail.

Thanks, this explains to some extent. However, I insist, if current consumption of the stage from PS is variable under signal, the PS capacitors are in the signal chain. At that, the stage still could be improved soundwise, by approaching to class A Ciuffolli-like stage. Of course, IMHO.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks, this explains to some extent. However, I insist, if current consumption of the stage from PS is variable under signal, the PS capacitors are in the signal chain. At that, the stage still could be improved soundwise, by approaching to class A Ciuffolli-like stage. Of course, IMHO.

there are so many forgotten things in electronics , invented in tube era , so there is a hardly Ciuffolli like stage

except if you think on inventive orientation of parallel resistors , with gold stripes on opposite ends

mad as hatter , as I am ........... it's miracle I didn't invented something like that

:rofl:

anything can be improved , but it would cost much more than SIT-3 price ;

and considering how much drek is around , already costing more .........

anyway , be our guest , and improve it ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.