New Aleph 5 coming up!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally I finished PS for Aleph 5. It's a dual mono with 132.000uf per channel. Toroids are 350VA 28-0-28.
Now I have a question. One rail shows 37V and the other one 37.5V. Is it a problem? Will I be able to hear it? Will I get more gain on one channel?
One more question. Do I have to move my star grounding point far away from the mains cable (inside the chasis) or it's not so imortant.

Attachments

• resize of svašta 047 copy.jpg
    resize of svašta 047 copy.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,351
hi, when you say you get 37 V on one rail and 37.5 on the other was there any load on the output of the transformers, as this will probably drop both voltages down a littel and may bring them more inline with one another. If however, you mean that on one trasformer the voltage on both positive and negative rails is different (so the two channels have slightly different supply voltages) the you should not hear any difference as the gain will be set in the circuit components, not by the power suply voltages.

On a littel aside though, where abouts did you get your riken resistors from, and were they very expensive at all?

very nice!

Finally I finished PS for Aleph 5. It's a dual mono with 132.000uf per channel. Toroids are 350VA 28-0-28.
Now I have a question. One rail shows 37V and the other one 37.5V. Is it a problem? Will I be able to hear it? Will I get more gain on one channel?

i doubt, the 0.5volt difference will be audible, more of a nuisance to some i'd say....that is why bifilliar winding of the secondary windings of your traffo will make rails equal...

One more question. Do I have to move my star grounding point far away from the mains cable (inside the chasis) or it's not so imortant.

I finished my Aleph 5 in Jan. 2004 and the sound is now getting better and better. In my case, I put it in the middle and no humm or buzz sound whatsoever, even when I put my ear near my speaker.

You can see it here:
http://www.penguinlovers.net/audio/aleph5_proj.html

Thomas

tomchaoda,
did you do any modifications to the original circuit?

Duck Twacy,
I used 2 pieces BG Std. series. Although they are little bigger they fit, I just had to put resistors in between them in different position as you can see. The other one is FK series and it fits perfectly. I'll use really big heatsinks. They are 40x25cm for each chanell. I think it will be enough;)

Thanks everybody for support.

Attachments

• resize of Šipi 134.jpg
    resize of Šipi 134.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 819
I bought them from one guy in Zagreb. He is usually making high quality industrial transformers in large quantities, but if you ask him nicely he'll make you any kind of custom made toroid. They are really dead quiet. Highly recomended. I can give you a number so you can order yourself high quality toroid.

bbakota2000 said:
I bought them from one guy in Zagreb. He is usually making high quality industrial transformers in large quantities, but if you ask him nicely he'll make you any kind of custom made toroid. They are really dead quiet. Highly recomended. I can give you a number so you can order yourself high quality toroid.

It would be nice to know how much they did cost also ;)

BTW does this guy have a webpage or similar?

Cheers

Andrea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.