Balanced attenuator for Aleph J

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to build the Aleph J, and will drive it balanced straight from a dac with digital volume control, so I really want to put a selectable attenuator into the path. I was going to use a 4p5t rotary switch attenuator, but am not clear how to connect it between the xlr inputs and the aleph j boards. If this has been asked before then I am sorry, but I couldn't find it through the search. If you could also suggest appropriate values for the 5t then I would be eternally grateful.
Thank you.

Joined 2011
The input to the aleph j is a 22k/220k divider. Can I reconfigure the attenuator
to take this into account, or would you just build it as it is described?

This amp wants to be driven by a low source impedance (<2k), so the gain is not affected.
You might consider scaling all the resistors way down, maybe by a factor of five or ten,
if the DAC can drive that. Also, is there a DAC output coupling capacitor to consider?
If so, then a lower attenuator resistance could reduce the bass range.

Last edited:
Here is another solution I chose. I connect balanced output of Wolfson DAC "chip" directly to 10K:10K, 600 transformer, then Aleph J.

It probably depends on the DAC, but in my case, bypassing several opamps of the balanced output of the DAC has a big impact on sound quality. The output level of the DAC chip is much lower than that of DAC balanced output, and probably no attenuator is necessary. With transformer, you can remove the input capacitors from AJ, which would be another benefit. If you do this, check the DAC chip output bias, my one is 5V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.