F5 setting trouble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys, I'm making the F5 Nelson but I have a serious problem in the setup phase. The R11 R12 resistors become very hot (close to smoke). I did not understand if the trimmers P1 and P2 must be zero Ohm or 5k to have the lowest possible bias. I replaced ZTX transistor with BC, do I need to change the value of any component?
I am attaching the diagram and the PCB that I designed, can someone tell me where I was wrong? Transistor or FET placement?
I'm very confuse ...:confused:
thank you very much!!!!

Attachments

• Nelson F5 v2.0_PCB.png
    Nelson F5 v2.0_PCB.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Nelson F5 v2.0_sch.pdf
    120.8 KB · Views: 52

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The BC transistors have a different pinout than ZTX, if you adjusted the pcb for that there will be no problem.

You want minimum resistance for least bias. R4 and R15 are in parallel with the pots, measure across them and set for minimum ohms.

Thermal tracking of Jfet is nice, but not necessary.

Thanks for your answers. The setup was now quite simple and now everything works. The sound is great !!!
I'm testing F5 with a FirstWatt B1 buffer preamplifier. I'm really happy!
;);)

Attachments

• Nelson_F5_testboard.jpg
    Nelson_F5_testboard.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Nelson_F5_B1_testboard.jpg
    Nelson_F5_B1_testboard.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Nelson_B1_testboard.jpg
    Nelson_B1_testboard.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 92
I know, this is only a temporary solution to make the first calibrations in comfort. The case will be metal and also open in under side ...
With this temporary solution the heat sinks reach 50 ° C after 2 hours of operation. And now, I can move everything into the definitive case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.