untwisted multistrand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It aint no biggie....

I saw some advertised and wondered what the benefits might be so got curious and tried to find some detail. I got even more curious when I couldn't find any mention.

As this is only one of two forums that I use then I thought I'd ask here.

I'm guessing now that this may be purpose made for one seller, and other than it being available only as individual wire(need a pair for one speaker) the only benefit I can see might be low capacitance....

I will curb my curiosity.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Please show an example. Maybe I missed something, but all the cat5 I've seen used in audio is cat5 in the "plenum" version which uses Teflon insulation. It's configuration is 4 twisted pairs of approximately 22 gauge solid core. It is used extensively in construction for office computer and telephone systems.

It is also the type that a number of DIY type audio sites use for speaker wires/cables

Checking Wikipedia it in fact does state it is available in stranded or solid. I have never seen stranded used in any DIY audio purposes, but I am sure you could if you wanted to.

Russellc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.