quick question about benefits of CCS when used with SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The ACA and some of the more DIY accessible amp projects have promoted SMPS for a simple supply solution. I realize that these supplies often has high frequency noise and the lower end ones might be unreliable etc. but for a moment lets assume these are `non issues' and they work OK...

When using them to power projects like Zen and all its glorious variations, would you still expect to see performance advantages in using a CCS given that the SMPS is regulated?

cheers
Beardywan

Please confirm my understanding that the CCS is used to keep Ids constant so as to minimize non-linearity in gain, and hence distortion?

A regulated voltage supply *should* provide a constant current if the impedance of the load is flat.. So you're saying it probably isn't. Is that right?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
oh , yes

regulated voltage supply will deliver constant current to an amp , if that amp is laying dead in the middle of the road

though , as amp is (hopefully) anything but dead , it is hardly to present constant load to it's own PSU

so , nope ....... you got it wrong ......... and that way of thinking is , well , not wrong but certainly wrong approach

Maybe I am expressing myself badly...

If you take regulated supply and use an "amp is laying dead in the middle of the road" as the load then you will get a constant current flow.

But my understanding is that the amplifier load is not constant, but it has some changing impedance with power/frequency etc. So despite a regulated supply, the current flowing wont be constant and hence you will see changes in the gain due to changes in Ids. So there is value in using a CCS regardless of whether the PSU is regulated....
am I on the same page?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well ....... there we go , probably already outa limit of "quick question and quick answer to it " :clown:

best way , not exactly shortest , but certainly most effective is that you go to FIRST WATT ARTICLES , download all pdfs and read .

there are more than few amplifier construction related books , so you can read few pages there too ....

all that , simply because there is no short answer to your question(s) , if I'm understanding it correctly that your'e puzzled with several things at once , without initial knowledge , needed to recognize what's of primary and what's of secondary importance

as I said - CCS in amplifier is used as loading element in gain stage ........ while real load (speaker) is having much lesser impedance , thus dominant ;
PSU is there to deliver juice ....... as much is possible with constant voltage , and as much is possible having lowest internal impedance ....... ideally able to deliver unlimited current , if being asked to.

so , PSU is beast ideally exactly opposite to CCS ........ maybe it'll help if you take an amplifier (sans PSU) as device which role is nothing else than to serve as valve between PSU and speaker - extra nice and extra fast and extra capable and extra nuanced variable resistor

Yes I'm puzzled:
As far as I can see the CCS in Son of Zen is not used as loading element.
I think it's there as a CCS to provide constant Ids to minimize distortion.
I think it's there, and should be there regardless of whether the PSU is regulated because an active gain stage doesn't present a constant impedance to the PSU.
?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ppl here will give you a own shirt , trying to help you .......... under few (usual ) terms:

-you need to show that you did (each time ) your own homework ;
-you need to be humble and economic in questions asked

answers on your questions need to be at least starting lectures in amplifier construction course ; you're asking too broad questions , both to your level of knowledge and for simple thread form

first you asked for Zen amp(s) then moving to SOZ ; CCS-es having different roles , none of them having directly anything with PSU arrangement

besides , you already have beautiful articles for each Zen amp , including SOZ ; why not using beautiful winter evening for little reading enjoyment ?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• SoZ-schem.gif
    SoZ-schem.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 49
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.