First watt choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:)

same first questions for you , posted in #2

These are my speakers:

JBL L100 Century,

Lenco L75 - Cinemag- Hagerman cornet 2 phono - Aikido 6sn7 Linestage - ???? - JBL RC Speakers.

YouTube

Looking for a tube sound. I read the F6 Might do. Building a Tubelab 300b would force me to go looking for Western Electric tube and I don't feel like spending 3K on tubes alone. The boom Boom Room is 11x18 feet.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
These are my speakers:

JBL L100 Century,

Lenco L75 - Cinemag- Hagerman cornet 2 phono - Aikido 6sn7 Linestage - ???? - JBL RC Speakers.

YouTube

Looking for a tube sound. I read the F6 Might do. Building a Tubelab 300b would force me to go looking for Western Electric tube and I don't feel like spending 3K on tubes alone. The boom Boom Room is 11x18 feet.

M2 is for ya

:devily:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
flea power , so no go

yup , adequate with power also , same note as for M2 , regarding preamp

though , my sympathies are always at M2 side :D
Agreed. Easiest build, no messing with bias, cheap transformers great sound. Set offset and go.

I do like the Aleph J also, I find it and M2 more enjoyable than F5 and F6.
But that's me..

Russellc

Last edited:
How is that amp… there is a POA 800 for sale locally for $160 CAD.

dave

I loved it. I did a full recap. I sold my first one for $500 years ago after I upgraded everything. This one Had blown one me 4 times. It started clipping while overheating. It was the variable resistor that controlled the Mv's that went. everything blew out. I'm done with it. Parts are too hard to find and tons of fake. Looking to build something better. On the side note, It has two big heat sink/trannny and load of parts . I would like to retro fit it the denon case and used to big Meters. F5, f6 or m2. decisions, decisions.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Don't get me wrong, I haven't heard a Pass amp I didnt think outstanding. That said, of all the ones I've built in my signature, I enjoyed the F6 least. An excellent amp, with outstanding upper range and expansive sound stage, but not warm like Aleph J or M2. I found it the closest to the F5 in comparison. I "decommissioned" my F6 to put the Aleph J boards in. I still have all the others, and with a chassis and power supply, I could "recommission" the F6, but I dont feel the need. Cant say the same about M2 or Aleph J, would miss them too much. Ditto for the complimentary BA3 in my main system. Please, I am not saying the F6 sounds bad, I dont think it does at all, its a fine amp. Just like the others better, just my taste and opinion, others will vary in their tastes

I also agree with others here that the First Watt amps I have benefit from pre with gain. With the B1, or other gainless front ends something is missing to me, with the exception of the BA3 amp, which has more gain...still, I prefer some gain with my preamps even there.

Russellc

Last edited:
Don't start build one as you wont finish, and don't listen to greedy boyz as you'll get confused...

Build one power supply and upsized heatsinks to rule them all, then populate shopping basket with combined BOM F1-F6, M2, Aleph-J.
Then a selector to switch between these amps :) listen:cool:

M2 is for ya

:devily:

on the weekend i heared the first time a prototype of my brothers F5 and it was fu**ing amazing.....:D
prototype because he (we) designed the case with an old amp case and heatsink from 4 different amps :)

now i am thinking to start a pass amp project... (i use a non diy DAC = Gustard A20H, spekaer = Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 or KEF Q100, or open baffle 12/5)

sorry to use your thread....but M2 is not available ?

Printed Circuit Boards – diyAudio Store

chris

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.