Unobtainium, what to do with them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
46BEE2E2-9513-4F91-99B2-84E7202ECA8C.jpg

I apologize, I guess my heading wasn’t worded very well.

I plan on building a pair of monoblocks, as close to the NP original 24 pair Anniversary edition as possible, maybe 3/4 build? Not sure if the 22 pairs I have will be enough that will match.

And to answer a few of the previous comments. Being lucky enough to come across these parts in the first place was a privilege, it would be ugly, in my opinion, to sell to the giving DIY Audio community at a premium.

No one could upstage what Walterw built! We was gutsy and brave to take on the task, in front of the diy audio community, as a first large scale build. And a beautiful finished product worthy of the Vfets.

I bought a bunch of parts to make something to measure the VGS. Maybe next week.

And to answer a few of the previous comments. Being lucky enough to come across these parts in the first place was a privilege, it would be ugly, in my opinion, to sell to the giving DIY Audio community at a premium.
As long as someone saw value and enjoyment out of the transaction it's hardly ugly.

You could youtube stream throwing them one by one into a furnace too.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

My “plan” would be to use 16 of the pairs, if I can get matching out of the extra 6 pairs, and or work trades to get to the 16. Anything left over I will sell to the members first requesting, at cost, if they are usefull.

I also have a couple PM’s that offer to help swap to help each other get matching pairs.

I hope to test and figure out where I’m at maybe next week.

I’m finishing up a speaker project, rebuilding my F5v3 turbo amps and really close to finishing up the Babelfish J monoblocks for my console project, before I start on this Sony project.

Plus I’m not an electronics guy, I have to find someone willing to help me figure out a schematic and design custom boards. I think I have a good design for the chassis.

I picked up another 4 pairs, so since I need to measure 52 pieces I thought I should build a proper test rig to save time and make it dummy proof for me.

I’m sure I have a mistake or two here, so I would appreciate comments before I fry anything.

I made it where I can bolt two on and then test one, then these the other, to save mounting and unmounting time.

I’m using Cleko’s for mounting. Faster than bolting and holds just as tight. If your unfamiliar they are usually used to hold sheet metal (automotive) together for welding or riveting.

I followed the test schematic but added a pair of switches to be able to make one rig and be able to switch between 2SJ28’s and 2SK82’s. In my simple mind it should work, but I’m not 100% sure.

I’m also unsure if the pin orientation is the same for both devices. I was only able to find the pinout for the 2SK82.

964219BB-F239-4313-B05D-2D891B57C1F5.jpeg

0F8D4A81-D5AE-4B60-BD54-B39BFD8F05BE.jpeg

89B32EB4-520B-498A-B7E4-5FAF868BBE2E.jpeg

508827C0-7782-4A17-B132-3FD11994096A.jpeg

F86C968C-2550-4C12-9CCD-C0CFCF7D1104.jpeg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok , schmtcs are both OK , pinout is OK , look from bottom side , where pins are

GO!!!

:clown:

edit : added some useful info ; not exact type , but case is and general info applicable

Attachments

• Sony HiFi SB49 TA-4650 & 5650 Page 1.jpg
    Sony HiFi SB49 TA-4650 & 5650 Page 1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 332
  • Sony HiFi SB49 TA-4650 & 5650 Page 2.jpg
    Sony HiFi SB49 TA-4650 & 5650 Page 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Ok , schmtcs are both OK , pinout is OK , look from bottom side , where pins are

GO!!!

:clown:

edit : added some useful info ; not exact type , but case is and general info applicable

ZM, you about gave me a heart attack!

Thanks for replying.

Don’t worry, I know I’m not worthy to have these VFET’s anyway, so for sure do not want my ignorance to fry any.

So to testing, switch on battery power, then, with pot all the way counterclockwise, turn on power supply, then turn pot clockwise till I get .5v across 1ohm resistor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.