more complementary pairs than IRFP240/IRFP9240

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's not difficult to get matches if they come from the same tubes.

Also, matching to .1v is generally pretty adequate. At PL we use .01V
only because it's easy to do.

np

Do you match pairs for each particular amplifier using that circuit's Vds?

I have looked a the eBay seller Punkydawgs. He uses 9V to characterize his matches. The F4 circuit that I am building uses the K170/J74 JFETs at about 14.4V Vds.

If a pair is matched at 9V Vds, that is no guarantee that they are a match at a higher Vds, correct?

Do you match pairs for each particular amplifier using that circuit's Vds?

I have looked a the eBay seller Punkydawgs. He uses 9V to characterize his matches. The F4 circuit that I am building uses the K170/J74 JFETs at about 14.4V Vds.

If a pair is matched at 9V Vds, that is no guarantee that they are a match at a higher Vds, correct?
The operating temperature inside the closed case will also make a difference. The jfets are very sensitive to the temperature. So, if you want to have a "closely" matched pairs (or quads) under your amp's operating condition, a temperature control jig is also needed.

FWIW, in the F5X project, NicMac acquires hundreds (if not thousands) Toshiba jfets and matched them in NNNNPPPP under Patrick's (EUVL, the F5X designer) matching instructions. There were not too many yields, and each set cost a fortune but still good price for what they are!!! However, they are not perfect match (still good match) in a different operating condition (can be affected by many factors in the DIY world :)). No prematch set will satisfy each diyer's creativity.

One thing for sure, a matched pair at 9V is going to be many times better than a random pair. Given these jfets (Toshiba and Linear) are close to impossible to buy in bulk to match ourselves, we probably will have to accept the general 9V matching practice to get the project going and be happy.

The operating temperature inside the closed case will also make a difference. The jfets are very sensitive to the temperature. So, if you want to have a "closely" matched pairs (or quads) under your amp's operating condition, a temperature control jig is also needed.

FWIW, in the F5X project, NicMac acquires hundreds (if not thousands) Toshiba jfets and matched them in NNNNPPPP under Patrick's (EUVL, the F5X designer) matching instructions. There were not too many yields, and each set cost a fortune but still good price for what they are!!! However, they are not perfect match (still good match) in a different operating condition (can be affected by many factors in the DIY world :)). No prematch set will satisfy each diyer's creativity.

One thing for sure, a matched pair at 9V is going to be many times better than a random pair. Given these jfets (Toshiba and Linear) are close to impossible to buy in bulk to match ourselves, we probably will have to accept the general 9V matching practice to get the project going and be happy.
This helps. Thanks. Where is the definitive write-up for matching the K170/J74 pairs? I have downloaded the write up on PassDiy but it was not totally clear to me.

My original questions were rather simple,

is the 9140 more complementary to the 240 than the 9240 ?
is the 244 or 340 more complementary to the 9240 than the 240?
is the irf630 more complementary to the irf9530 than the irf530?

asking because I have to buy new mosfets for PASS amps (F4 F5 etc)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.