PassLab

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have probably not spending enough time searching the forum.
A year ago I switched from normal SS amps to SE tube amps and liked the sound. Then I wondered why to don't see any SE SS amps out there. I am interested in how the "interface" from the output stage to the speaked is done.......to avoid DC on the speaker......without using large electrolytic capacitors.

I will perform some searcing........

No worries.

You'll find plenty of info that'll answer all your questions here, @diyaudio.com, in the PassLabs forum.
And @FirstWatt.com.

Takes some time but it's worth the effort.
Also there will be many knowledgeable souls willing to guide you in your endeavours.
(I know I might sound like a catholic priest but that was intentional).

There is something to look at. Thank you for that.
They write "no capacitors in the signal path".
There is a schematic for the Alehp J amp. I can see I need to learn someting new how DC is avoided without a capacitor and without an OT. Q5, Q6 and Q7, Q8 is not in a PP configuration? but you call this Single Ended?
So if I learn how this curcuit is working it will be a big step forward.
A lot of heatsinks is needed. It is a big difference from tubes where the heat is radiated from the tubes. But that I was aware of.......

Looks interesting. I have saved the links. I have a good damping factor compared to a SE tube amp.
How much ripple do you usually have on the PSU? .....is it down to a few mV ripple normally?
I am streaming music in 16 or 24 bit quality and the DAC has a large fixed output so I just use a passive preamp (10k Goldpoint stepped attenuator built into a DIY box). In my system this gives me the cleanest and most dynamic sound (300B SE amp in the moment). Will read about the BA1. Can see it requires some "big" hardware......

I am using approx. 94 dB Open Baffle speakers. The 7-8 W the 300B can deliver are more than enough. I have not yet tried to drive it into clipping. My ears are going "bad" before then. Impressing how loud 7-8 W can play.......
These speakers:
OBL-15
....but built in 1 inch black MDF with some other minor modifications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.