comparing J2 and M2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a factory made J2 in my system doing some fun comparisons with a M2 I built from help here. The first thing very surprising is a big difference in gain. The M2 has way more gain and this seems inconsistent with what I read at Nelson's First Watt page. Am I missing something here? The J2 needs more gain than my 6.7 dB transformer coupled tube linestage can deliver. The M2 OTOH has room to spare.

I'll share some amateurish thoughts on differences in sound for my rig later for those who are interested.

Jim

Look forward to more listening impressions. What speakers are you using?

My speakers are very high efficiency horns which is probably why I like the M2 so much. Mid-range is Edgar wood salad bowl with JBL 2441 compression drivers (500 hz and up), Mid-bass is front loaded straight horn (68 to 500 hz) using Great Plains 15" woofer, Subs are 7 ft tall diy tapped horns with Definimax 4012HO drivers. Subs are driven by pro Peavey amp and Welbourne active xover at around 60 hz. FW amps drive the mid-range and mid-bass, passive xovers. I also have the fancy Fostex magnesium tweeters but they are sitting disconnected at the moment. All in all big huge dynamics that can fill up a room so they work better in bigger rooms.

Sissy

Last edited:
Pic of my horns. I built the mid bass and tapped horns from sims that John Hasquin did for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 498
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.