physical hum reduction in class A amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hey all,

I've an ongoing fight with pretty much anything I've built with hum (there's an aleph clone winking at me from here with that issue). And i tripped over the below whilst browsing about today. I appreciate the solution presented is to transfo hum, but smoothing that sawtooth in the rails cant hurt anything right?

It's a cheap part to add, so I got to wondering why it's not a common solution I've seen here. why would I not add this to every build I do? I do use the usual CRC psu anyway, but this seems quite a easy add on?

Thoughts?

PS part in question (i think) http://www.altronics.com.au/p/l6630-470uh-5a-high-frequency-inductor-choke/

PPS: ...i use 300VA transfos at a minimum for pass builds. The 160VA below feels ...optimistic

Attachments

• 112410_2lo.jpg
    112410_2lo.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
adding coil/inductor or a resistor between the first stage and second stage of the smoothing creating a Pi filter gives a BIG improvement.
The Pi filter helps to reduce the fundamental. But it makes a much BIGGER improvement in attenuating the higher harmonics.
The saw tooth waveform of a simple rC filter becomes nearly a low amplitude sine wave on your DC when you use an rC (R+L) C Pi style filter.

It's the removal of the very high harmonics that often pass straight through the amplifier that gives the main improvement in sound quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.