"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Joined 2002
Paid Member
While working on my Whammy I shorted something(s). I thought I had blown the regulators and the LEDs were off. I have replaced the regulators but the LEDs are still not on, and I am getting 30V on the regulator outputs and the opamp power pins. Can anyone point me to the best places to troubleshoot the problem ?

Sounds like open leds. The regulators have no ground reference. Zen Mods advice is good.

Help !

Sounds like open leds. The regulators have no ground reference. Zen Mods advice is good.

Wayne, 6L6 and Zen Mod,

Thanks for the advice. I will order more diodes and change them out. Bizarrely with the 833 opamp and 30V it plays and sounds fine ! Not sure how long that would last though before it started smoking so it's out of use for now. Back to my £13 JLH 1969 :).

I have photos I can upload if anyone thinks it would add anything, but replacing all the diodes first makes sense.

Which LED ?

Wayne, 6L6 and Zen Mod,

Thanks for the advice. I will order more diodes and change them out. Bizarrely with the 833 opamp and 30V it plays and sounds fine ! Not sure how long that would last though before it started smoking so it's out of use for now. Back to my £13 JLH 1969 :).

I have photos I can upload if anyone thinks it would add anything, but replacing all the diodes first makes sense.

All,

I bought the Kingbright WP710A10LID LEDs in the BOM from Mouser with all the other bits. I can't order exact replacements because the postage will be ridiculous for such a small order. RS has lots of red Kingbright 3mm LEDs. What spec am I looking for please ? Forward voltage ? Reverse voltage ?

All,

I bought the Kingbright WP710A10LID LEDs in the BOM from Mouser with all the other bits. I can't order exact replacements because the postage will be ridiculous for such a small order. RS has lots of red Kingbright 3mm LEDs. What spec am I looking for please ? Forward voltage ? Reverse voltage ?

I have a some spare LEDs drop me a pm with your address and I will put them in the post for you Monday morning.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
All,

just pull them from anything broken you have in drawers

or use green ones , if you have them new

if you change color (thus voltage across ) , change in both rails

What exactly is the purpose of R39/R40? The schematic shows that they along with the volume pot forming some type of voltage divider influencing the gain in some way.
In a early post I read where Jim stated that they "have all to do with oscillations" or something along those lines.
I just don't understand why they're needed.

Thanks.

Nobody can answer my question above about R39/R40??

LEDs & Diodes

I have a some spare LEDs drop me a pm with your address and I will put them in the post for you Monday morning.

JamieMcC

That's very kind of you, but I have already ordered some from RS with the diodes. Fortunately they don't have minimum order values anymore and reliably deliver next day - so the bits should be here on Monday.

I took the diodes out of the board ready for the new ones and tested them with my multimeter's diode testing function. I got 585 with red lead to the anode and infinite resistance with black lead to the anode, which I think means they are OK - so it looks like the LEDs have blown. Nevertheless I will replace them all as advised and see what happens.