"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Felt like i needed to post a big thank you to 6L6 for such a great write up - this project is
so very easy to recommend to any DIY friend!

After a few weeks of listening i have to say the one thing that stands out to me about this amp is
that it has a real "punchy" sound. Driving headphones with ease and delivering the goods
with excellent sound quality. "Effortless" seems to be a good adjective too :)

Proud to call diyAudio home - y'all rock!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• wayne001.jpg
    wayne001.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,356
How about using this power supply as a stand-alone for other preamp/headphone amp duties? I noticed Nisbeth had made his own separate psu boards in the original thread. Could be adapted from 15/17 v (stock), to 18/20 with 18V regs (Nisbeths suggestion). Any reason we couldn’t go all the way to 24V with lm7924 and possibly different transformers? Would the noise be as low at higher voltages, say for something like a ba3-fe? Seems like a very nice psu that would be cool to have as a more general purpose one also...

Regarding the PSU, I have my Whammy complete now. The linear regulators and heat sinks get a little hot. I can't put my finger on them for more than a few seconds. My voltages all measure within spec at 16.9 volts + and - when I just had the PSU components installed. Once I had everything soldered up I measured almost 27 volts at the transformer secondaries. I used a Talema 22v, 25va transformer. Just wondering if the regulators getting that warm is normal. The amp itself sounds great, although I have yet to try it with a good pair of headphones. I have a pair of Thinksound ON2's on the way from massdrop.