"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Thanks for input.

Is there a performance benefit of 15V with LED vs 18V without LED?

Also, I am thinking to install a 317/337, pre-regulator set at +/-24V, and using the positive leg to supply the LX mini x-over. That keeps ac out of Whammy chassis and reduces stress on +/-18V supply.

LX mini current draw is so low that there should be no unbalancing of Whammy supply.

I use the 78/7915 regs with green LEDs 2.2v and the OPA2134, runs great.
Just waiting for my blue 3mm LEDs to arrive for a power indicator, where would be the best pick off point and what value resistor.

I followed the little circuit on post #93 by HiGHFLYiN9s. See my post #207 for my execution. I can't remember what value resistor I used but you'll probably want to experiment anyway to get your desired brightness.

V- at -23 v ?

Sincere Thanks to everyone involved in this project.

I started my build yesterday. I plugged in today and no blowing up or smoke. good. However
V+ seems ok at close to 17V
V- is about -23V

Is this ok or should I debug before going further? V- LED stays brighter longer than V+ LED, after disconnecting, for minutes. Both are red.

In addition to power supply, C3 C4 C8 C9 C10 C28 are stuffed with 100uf/25v (what I had in the box). The only other change from suggested components: Using 5 Ohms instead of 5.1 Ohms for R20 R21 R37 R38.

Thanks in advance for help.

LED Staying Bright for Longer on Switch off

Sincere Thanks to everyone involved in this project.

I started my build yesterday. I plugged in today and no blowing up or smoke. good. However
V+ seems ok at close to 17V
V- is about -23V

Is this ok or should I debug before going further? V- LED stays brighter longer than V+ LED, after disconnecting, for minutes. Both are red.

In addition to power supply, C3 C4 C8 C9 C10 C28 are stuffed with 100uf/25v (what I had in the box). The only other change from suggested components: Using 5 Ohms instead of 5.1 Ohms for R20 R21 R37 R38.

Thanks in advance for help.

bajjisw

You should have similar V+ and V- after the regulators measuring from the unused resistor pads. The V+ looks right but the V- is too high. It looks like the V- regulator isn't regulating.

I have the same problem with my V+ LED. Despite having 'correct' voltages and having changed out regulators, LEDs and diodes my V+ LED still stays bright for over a minute after switch off. I can't see any reason why that should be normal, but have so far not been able to find anything wrong that could be causing it. I even swapped out the transformer for another I had lying around to eliminate it !

bajjisw

You should have similar V+ and V- after the regulators measuring from the unused resistor pads. The V+ looks right but the V- is too high. It looks like the V- regulator isn't regulating.

I have the same problem with my V+ LED. Despite having 'correct' voltages and having changed out regulators, LEDs and diodes my V+ LED still stays bright for over a minute after switch off. I can't see any reason why that should be normal, but have so far not been able to find anything wrong that could be causing it. I even swapped out the transformer for another I had lying around to eliminate it !

I would assume it is from all the capacitance in the ripple filtering stage. Adding a resistor across V-/V+ and ground will drain off the capacitance faster. Perhaps someone can recommend an ideal resistance here?

bajjisw

Thanks for the responses. My first attempt at a response was snafued. I guess it did not post. Apologies if it shows up twice.

I read the one month I missed in this thread, and my issue seemed similar to #508. So, I decided to take out the LEDs and use the voltage divider instead. Voltages seem ok now.

V+ 21.7V (at R35)
V- 20.4V (at R36)

This is on the black board.

For completeness, measurements with LEDs below (Lite-On Inc. / LTL2R3KRD-EM). On a scope, the voltages looked beautifully flat. The magnitude was off. I used surplus transformer from the guide, 18V secondaries.

On 7915, Output=-19.8V, Input=-27.7V
On 7815, Output=14.9V, Input=27.7V

This also "solved" my LED issue. :)

So, I have a question.

When I first built this amp, I threw in a TL072 since I had one on hand, and I noticed a little low end distortion. Like a fuzziness, almost like crossover distortion or clipping. However, when I replaced it with a OPA2134, the problem vanished.

I don't think it is giving the TL072 a fair chance in this amp, is there anything specific I should adjust for the TL072(or any other op amps I try in the future with similar problems)?

Vishay opto coupler 4n35

Which is pin 1 ?

I don't see a dot. The notch along the side of the package is similar to the build guide I hope. Meaning the V marks pin 1 ?

Reference:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/83717/4n35x.pdf

Sorry about the fuzzy phone pic.

Attachments

• v4n35.jpg
    v4n35.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 895
Thanks for the quick reply. And thanks for the amp.

With a LM4562, output offsets are
L -1 mV
R 0.8 mV

I'm tempted to call it good and stop fiddling. Any thoughts?

Missing headphone jack, input and output wiring. Hopefully soon. I surprised myself by not cannibalizing cords.

Though I am an ME by education, I seem to forget to check mechanical dimensions. :)

Attachments

• IMAG7389.jpg
    IMAG7389.jpg
    958.3 KB · Views: 888