Threshold 400a with 4000 face??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I saw this on e-Bay. It's a 400a with a 4000 face. Out of curiosity, I reached out to the owner and we exchanged phone numbers. We talked for a while, a very nice guy. It turns out he bought the amp years ago from one of the early investors of Threshold who had a room full of Threshold pieces he received directly from Mr. Pass. This was not something pieced together from misc. parts from old, broken amps. The present owner did send it back to Threshold years later for the E-Series upgrade.

What's confusing is after taking the tops off of three 400a's I have and comparing it to 4000s I have, I see no way for the display board to clear the alum. heat sinks of the output boards on the 400s. This would have required relocating at least one output board back a bit (and from the attached pictures it looks like both boards are set back). Weather these are different boards or different mounting points on the sectional, heatsink chassis, I don't know.

Could this have been something Threshold was experimenting with (a 4000 style face on a 400a)? Has anyone seen anything like this? Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric M.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 116
Thanks for the response. Did that employee ever put together mismatched components like this?
I have attached a few more close up pictures of how the LED board fits around the output board.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.