Replacement For Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74

Joined 2011
Paid Member
M2X straight out of the box, offers two different options with a factor of 500 lower output impedance than 2SK170/2SJ74. It also provides a third option with 2X higher class A output current and, simultaneously, 4X lower output impedance.

Whether this makes any audible difference, when the amplifier itself uses an $8 iron core transformer for voltage gain, may be a matter of opinion; and may differ from one listener to the next.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Got a feeling these K170BL are genuine, those leads are corroded thru long storage, unlike my J74 samples, whose leads are shiny ! Supplier says they got those J74 from Shenzhen China.

Here's some close up shots, will build a simple jig for pinch test next week.
Have a nice weekend guys !

I have about 200 pcs. Bought long long ago.

Attachments

• 2SK170-2SJ74.jpg
    2SK170-2SJ74.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 863
  • GR GRADE.jpg
    GR GRADE.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • TOP.jpg
    TOP.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 647
Got a feeling these K170BL are genuine, those leads are corroded thru long storage, unlike my J74 samples, whose leads are shiny ! Supplier says they got those J74 from Shenzhen China.

Here's some close up shots, will build a simple jig for pinch test next week.
Have a nice weekend guys !

I am afaid they are not. Digit 7 should be curvy.
And see what what genuin seller punkydawgs add to his lots:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=743639&stc=1&d=1552827894

Attachments

• 2sk170_2s74_genuine.jpg
    2sk170_2s74_genuine.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 1,031
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll add my opinion:

@meanie, what set off alarms for me is the '0' looks too round on your devices. They may be jfets that you can use but they won't necessarily be as low noise as genuine Toshiba. Check the seams (I think only the top seam is applicable) and the indentation on the back but electrical tests will be the real indicator. If these are only for your own use then the only opinion that matters is your own but if you plan to resell these I would not try and represent these as genuine if these were mine.

@darr, based on your pictures, your jfets look real to me or at least they look like the ones I bought 12 years ago

Yes Darr, what I see in your pictures looks like Toshiba JFETs all right.
I was also irritated when I read the sides should be seamless. In fact it is just very thin and only barely visible. With the fingertips you can probably not feel it. At least I can’t [emoji106]

@Twitchie, pls don't get me wrong. I am not trying to be another Jfet seller in this forum.
These pair of jfets are so rare nowadays and i don't mind paying premium for them, but the shipping costs for shipping a weighless envelope is so high that they charged, no offence, but this is what i feel.

So when i stumbled across this local supplier with supposingly NOS, i became excited. And it was timely, as i was starting to collect parts for B1 NuTube preamp. It was thru here that i found out mine may turn out to be fakes too.

Anyway this is getting interesting, from another thread i found out that Marantz used J74/K170 in their HDAM circuit in their CD players in the mid 90's. I do have a CD63SE that i bought while i was a young man then, i will remove the Jfet pair and see how they look like. Will post some pictures to share. Have a nice day ahead !