Trouble shooting an F6 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is part of the danger of using 9.1V Zeners.
Make sure trimpots are set to center position.

The jfets failing won't affect the mosfets though.

I saw smoke from the jfets so I know they are toast. If I replace the ones in the bad channel do I also have to replace the ones in the good channel?

I saw smoke from somewhere else and I thought it was from a mosfet. Nothing on the board looks toast.

1) Check all solder joints
2) Buy a manufacturers tube of IRFP240, and start matching your own parts.

These are my building tips
1) Study amp circuit to get a good enough understanding of how the bias and dc offset circuitry works.
2) Carefully compare pcb with circuit diagram
3) Always have circuit diagram open when stuffing pcb
4) Double check all components have been installed correctly
5) Remove solder flux and inspect all solder joints with lighted magnifying glass
6) Use light bulb tester for testing power supply in isolation from amp circuit.
7) Use lab power supply with current limiting to test amp circuit in isolation from power supply.
8) Reduce bias to half the specified value then connect power supply and amp circuit rebias to correct level. Use two multimeters in tandem, one measuring dc offset and the other measuring bias level.

Never had a failure following this method.
Always test power supply and circuit in isolation from each other.

Last edited:
1) Check all solder joints
2) Buy a manufacturers tube of IRFP240, and start matching your own parts.

These are my building tips
1) Study amp circuit to get a good enough understanding of how the bias and dc offset circuitry works.
2) Carefully compare pcb with circuit diagram
3) Always have circuit diagram open when stuffing pcb
4) Double check all components have been installed correctly
5) Remove solder flux and inspect all solder joints with lighted magnifying glass
6) Use light bulb tester for testing power supply in isolation from amp circuit.
7) Use lab power supply with current limiting to test amp circuit in isolation from power supply.
8) Reduce bias to half the specified value then connect power supply and amp circuit rebias to correct level. Use two multimeters in tandem, one measuring dc offset and the other measuring bias level.

Never had a failure following this method.
Always test power supply and circuit in isolation from each other.

That is some fantastic advice! Thank you

Last night the JFETS and MOSFETS came in so I got back to work on the amp. I installed the JFETS correctly this time and I replaced both MOSFETS. No smoke but also no bias voltage, I do have DC offset though. At the moment I am assuming that when the jfets went they took out a resistor but nothing on the board looks fried.

Check all solder joints around biasing circuit.
Check voltage across Zener diodes.
Measure voltage between gate of mosfet and ground.

Possible issues
Bad solder joint somewhere
Bad trimpot (wiper is cactus)
Bad Zener
Zener installed backwards

Maybe the smoke you saw was either from the Zener or Trimpot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.