Pass Labs XA25 review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"The output impedance (including 6' of speaker cable) was low, at 0.08 ohm at 20Hz and 1kHz, rising very slightly to 0.1 ohm at 20kHz"

:D:D:D

I always wanted to know what is impedance of Atkinson's 6' of speaker cable :D

It looks like he should to change those 6 ' of twisted pairs :)

The pics are beautiful. Why the 6 x 1 ohm resistors between the drain and the power supply? My guess is that this the only way to measure the bias current through the transistor since there are no degeneration resistors at the source.

It could also be part of the 10A protection. Or both used to set bias and a place to monitor current during operation.

Ooo these tease pics are always fun!
So we've got output zoble network now and those little silver caps make a reappearance.

I know that all the real magic is in the output stage but the front end voltage gain is also intriguing. based on the description in the latest owners manual, the front end sounds like mini F5 with cascoded input Jfets ?

I just saw Massimo's post and yes the front end does look to me like the diy vfet front end :D

but all the mystery here is the op stage and its biasing arrangements ...

Per the picture, the OPS looks to me to be biased by 2 x TL431, no degeneration, and 6 // 1 ohm resistors between each drain and the power supply to monitor current in the OPS.

At 10A peak, the parallel resistors will consume 1.67v of the power supply. Any voltage greater than 1.67v across this resistor bank will trip the protection circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.