Auto-Biasing Circuits for Complementary Followers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you Mark, great tip! Affordable and available in easier to see DIP8. Specified for class AB bias but I see no reason why it can not be used for class A. Typical PassDiy bias of 1.3A will need R sense of 15.38 mΩ which can be 6 parallel of 0.1 Ω resistors or a 0.5 inch length of AWG#26 magnet wire.

In terms of circuitry the LT1166 is more complex.
But it has one big advantage, namely the sense voltage is +/-20mV, instead of ~1.2V for the opto.
Once can argue this is not important for certain designs, such as those with sufficient NFB.
But if one chooses to design an amp with no NFB, then even a bias of 2A would mean Zout > 0.15R, or damping factor < 48.

If we accept +/-0.6V as sense voltage, then the JLH biasing circuit is IMHO just as effective.
It essentially operates on a similar principle.

My personal opinion, of course,
Patrick

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And let's not forget that the nice people at Linear Technology sell an integrated circuit called LT1166, which auto-biases the output stage of an audio power amplifier. (link to document). It can be used with BJT output transistors, or MOSFET output transistors.

I found it very difficult to make it work without oscillation. I invite anyone with
a working example to share it, saving others needless frustration.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And you might enjoy the Aleph 0 from 1991.

Attachments

• ALEPH 0.gif
    ALEPH 0.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 721
This is a neat auto-bias from TubeCAD that I like. (very simplified for clarity)

Class A only, but can have a very low distortion and be very stable and nice behaved. It is easy to add positive current feedback for a negative output impedance if wanted.

Attachments

• TRIADTRON-AUTOBIAS.JPG
    TRIADTRON-AUTOBIAS.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 662
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.