Type of Choke for CLC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am just referring to the original datasheet from Lundahl ll2733 when both coils are connected in parallel.
And there is a seller in Germany who writes on his website that if the a.c. voltage is less than the 60 volts maximum the current can be more.
I am typing one finger and I am no stockholder of Lundahl nor did I say where to buy them so I have much easier ways to make money.
Are you a moderator? If so you remove all my posts with a click or not?
The chokes I brought to Vietnam went in and out several planes and my friend just paid the price I paid.
ÀND if it would be possible to have any financial benefit from promoting Lundahl how much would that be? One hour of typing to gain a few $? I would better sell some of my surplus world war 2 tubes I bought for a single $ a piece.
Sincere greetings, Eduard

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I want to believe that you're not a spammer but enthusiastic DIYer , willing to help

however , I'm always more liking to believe datasheets than "seller in Germany who writes on his website" ..........

core saturation is more in function of applied DC current than AC present

as I said , with big reserve about their Rdc , LL2733 are possible candidate only for differential choke ......

Rdc usually isn't so much of a problem in heater circuits , but when used in active part amplifier PSU , one need to think of much broader picture

Hello,
I asked Per Lundahl himself about current rating when using anode chokes as power supply chokes and he confirmed that the writing on the German website is not nonsense.
I am using ll2733 for choke input in my dddac and there is some serious current running there.
In the Hiraga amp there is 1 or 1,5 A and the dcr of the chokes sold by the French people was around 0,8 or 1 ohm. I never thought it was much of a problem.
The Lundahl Are constructed in another way than the French chokes so I expect them to filter a broader range.
Just wait until my Vietnamese friend will use
Sincere greetings Eduard

... I asked Per Lundahl himself about current rating when using anode chokes as power supply chokes and he confirmed that the writing on the German website is not nonsense.
I am using ll2733 for choke input ...
Eduard, please be a little more careful when giving explanation to avoid confusion. The LL2733 you are describing is a Filament Choke, not an Anode choke.
For Firstwatt designs, Mr Pass recommended <0.12ohm resistance value for a CRC supply. The Lundahl chokes have much more resistance compared to recommended value and will cause severe penalty on tansient reproduction due to the higher resistance. Many people here simply can not see any benefit.

Eduard, please be a little more careful when giving explanation to avoid confusion. The LL2733 you are describing is a Filament Choke, not an Anode choke.
For Firstwatt designs, Mr Pass recommended <0.12ohm resistance value for a CRC supply. The Lundahl chokes have much more resistance compared to recommended value and will cause severe penalty on tansient reproduction due to the higher resistance. Many people here simply can not see any benefit.
Hello,
I use anode chokes which are specified for 30 hertz or cycles in power supply. And it was Per Lundahl himself that using them in a power supply the maximum current can be higher because they would be working on a higher frequency than 30 hertz.
With the ll2733 which are specified for 60 volt a.c. the maximum current can be higher when the a.c. voltage is much lower. I was told by Per Lundahl himself so why have doubts about that.
The resistor in the arc power supply of the Hiraga was higher than 0,12 ohm for sure and I believe the dcr of the choke was 0,8 or 1 ohm. The final caps were bigger. 20 watt had 4 times 68K and the 30 watt 4 times 330000microfarad.
I think the ll2733nwith the two coils in parallel could work well. We don't know untill we try.
My friend in Vietnam will use them for choke input power supply for the Nelson Pass "" copy "" of the nemesis amp by Jean Hiraga.
Greetings, Eduard

In the past, I just use CLC (capacitor input) for my projects and try to find the best capacitor as Black Gate, Cerafine. When I met Eduard, he told me try to use LC (choke input) into power supply; I tried for some projects and the result is very impressive. With choke input, no need to use high capacitance, no need to use the best capacitor but I think we must use choke input type as the link below for the best result
CH-120m-2WD TANGO HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase

Thanks for all of the input, though I'm not sure that any choke with a 2-3A rating provides enough "belt and suspenders" to make me happy with one of Nelson's designs. While they are excellent products, Tango and Lundahl have always seemed to me to be aimed squarely at the tube world. Much of the online discussion on this topic has tended to focus on Class-D amps, tube amps, or Class AB amps.

Each of these is significantly different from a high current Class-A solid state amp. I'm looking for a minimum of 5-10A current rating. My original question was primarily aimed at potential differences among construction types for chokes that will stand up to Nelson's designs.

In the past, I just use CLC (capacitor input) for my projects and try to find the best capacitor as Black Gate, Cerafine. When I met Eduard, he told me try to use LC (choke input) into power supply; I tried for some projects and the result is very impressive. With choke input, no need to use high capacitance, no need to use the best capacitor but I think we must use choke input type as the link below for the best result
CH-120m-2WD TANGO HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase

Hello,
My friend Tho in Vietnam is using ll2733 in one or more Nelson Pass designs. I think most of them are not big power amp so no need to use 5-10A rated chokes. The French designs that used 150 mH 0,7 ohm dcr were all class A designs but the biggest one was 50 watts.
Using air core with 2 or 3 my will give other results then using 100 mH lundahls.
I did use the ll2733 in my dddac which also runs at 1A or more and there are more people using Lundahl chokes with choke input for that dddac. Had the Hiraga 30 watt with a considerable high current using French iron core chokes for about 10 years. Have a friend using it for decades.
Pretty soon I will meet Tho and his audiophile friends who actually use the ll2733 in solid state class A power amplifiers. Most of them use high efficiency systems so no need to go for amps that need 10 A rated chokes and 1kva transformers.
Unless you actually try higher mH chokes you don't REALLY know if it is a good investment. Find out what current rating you really NEED so can get the maximum mH. I have done the same with the ll2733 which can be had with a smaller airbag which will give higher mH at less maximum current. Higher mH is nice for choke input because it will reduce the necessary blender current. But not important if you need CLC power supply.
Sincere greetings, Eduard

Hello,
The first time I came across chokes for class A solid state amps was around 1985 when I visited Paris regularly for buying diyaudio parts that were hard to get elsewhere.
The 200mH 0,7 ohm dcr choke was used in the nemesis a single ended solid state amp with one 2sk135 and an output transformer.
Later the same choke was used in a bigger 50 watt power amp.
At that time there were people building the 20 and 30 watt Hiraga amps with crc power supply. Asked the French people if I could make a CLC supply for the Hiraga amp too.
Sure, good idea they said, so I did.
Using the ll2733 as a load is to expensive. If it is there you better connect it.
Let us wait untill we get more response from Vietnam where the ll2733 is actually used and comparisons were made.
Just telling it will not work is bollocks. Jean Hiraga is one of the most respected diy designers for decades now.
Greetings, Eduard

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
we are speaking here about CLC , not LC (and I said that anything else would be a waste of good choke , also bringing it to upper part of safe current area)

did you ever made CLC with 0.2H ?

what is happening when any transient hits the system ?

also , what is powering up behavior of PSU , let alone PSU + amp circuit ?

we are approaching realm where any change is going to settle after full second or two or three , and that is no good.

Hello,
My Vietnamese friend Tho used the ll2733 for CLC and for LC power supply. Before CLC he was using CRC for his Nelson Pass design. Gradually he started using small value iron core chokes from Hammond instead of the power resistor. Then going up in mH by switching to the LL2733 and the final stage was choke input using the LL2733.
In my Hiraga amp I used the iron core choke designed for the nemesis amp ( and later used in other designs too by the French) as described before in a CLC power supply.
The capacitors I used were special ones developed for the 30 watt Hiraga amp.
I started using choke input 10 years later for tube gear. And recently I used choke input for my dddac which also draws more than 1A.
If I would build a solid state class A now I would surely consider choke input.
My friend Tho will post some photos about the ll2733 in his designs here soon.
Sincere greetings from Eduard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.