Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Type of Choke for CLC?
Type of Choke for CLC?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 01:03 PM   #21
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Hello,
I am just referring to the original datasheet from Lundahl ll2733 when both coils are connected in parallel.
And there is a seller in Germany who writes on his website that if the a.c. voltage is less than the 60 volts maximum the current can be more.
I am typing one finger and I am no stockholder of Lundahl nor did I say where to buy them so I have much easier ways to make money.
Are you a moderator? If so you remove all my posts with a click or not?
The chokes I brought to Vietnam went in and out several planes and my friend just paid the price I paid.
ÀND if it would be possible to have any financial benefit from promoting Lundahl how much would that be? One hour of typing to gain a few $? I would better sell some of my surplus world war 2 tubes I bought for a single $ a piece.
Sincere greetings, Eduard
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:59 PM   #22
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
I want to believe that you're not a spammer but enthusiastic DIYer , willing to help

however , I'm always more liking to believe datasheets than "seller in Germany who writes on his website" ..........

core saturation is more in function of applied DC current than AC present

as I said , with big reserve about their Rdc , LL2733 are possible candidate only for differential choke ......

Rdc usually isn't so much of a problem in heater circuits , but when used in active part amplifier PSU , one need to think of much broader picture
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:19 PM   #23
wuffwaff is offline wuffwaff  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
I like them in speaker xover , but couldn't find data for DC saturation , so - no, tnx
Used them with around 5A of bias. The resultant ripple was as calculated so saturation canˋt really be a problem.
I will see if I can find some more data.

William
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:55 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I asked Per Lundahl himself about current rating when using anode chokes as power supply chokes and he confirmed that the writing on the German website is not nonsense.
I am using ll2733 for choke input in my dddac and there is some serious current running there.
In the Hiraga amp there is 1 or 1,5 A and the dcr of the chokes sold by the French people was around 0,8 or 1 ohm. I never thought it was much of a problem.
The Lundahl Are constructed in another way than the French chokes so I expect them to filter a broader range.
Just wait until my Vietnamese friend will use
Sincere greetings Eduard
Old 4th January 2018, 01:12 PM   #25
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduard View Post
... I asked Per Lundahl himself about current rating when using anode chokes as power supply chokes and he confirmed that the writing on the German website is not nonsense.
I am using ll2733 for choke input ...
Eduard, please be a little more careful when giving explanation to avoid confusion. The LL2733 you are describing is a Filament Choke, not an Anode choke.
For Firstwatt designs, Mr Pass recommended <0.12ohm resistance value for a CRC supply. The Lundahl chokes have much more resistance compared to recommended value and will cause severe penalty on tansient reproduction due to the higher resistance. Many people here simply can not see any benefit.
Old 4th January 2018, 01:26 PM   #26
Dennis Hui is online now Dennis Hui  Canada
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
Default Hammond 159ZL

What about something cheap and cheerful like the Hammond 159ZL (2.5mH, 10A, 0.044R)?

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/177/5c0032-57977.pdf
Old 4th January 2018, 01:32 PM   #27
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
like always , matter of compromise

little more inductance , little more Rdc , little cheaper

easy to find ?
Old 4th January 2018, 01:47 PM   #28
Dennis Hui is online now Dennis Hui  Canada
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
I got a couple of the 159ZL because they are easy to get. They are
available through digikey, mouser and even local stores.

Plus I'm cheap.
Old 4th January 2018, 03:39 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra1 View Post
Eduard, please be a little more careful when giving explanation to avoid confusion. The LL2733 you are describing is a Filament Choke, not an Anode choke.
For Firstwatt designs, Mr Pass recommended <0.12ohm resistance value for a CRC supply. The Lundahl chokes have much more resistance compared to recommended value and will cause severe penalty on tansient reproduction due to the higher resistance. Many people here simply can not see any benefit.
Hello,
I use anode chokes which are specified for 30 hertz or cycles in power supply. And it was Per Lundahl himself that using them in a power supply the maximum current can be higher because they would be working on a higher frequency than 30 hertz.
With the ll2733 which are specified for 60 volt a.c. the maximum current can be higher when the a.c. voltage is much lower. I was told by Per Lundahl himself so why have doubts about that.
The resistor in the arc power supply of the Hiraga was higher than 0,12 ohm for sure and I believe the dcr of the choke was 0,8 or 1 ohm. The final caps were bigger. 20 watt had 4 times 68K and the 30 watt 4 times 330000microfarad.
I think the ll2733nwith the two coils in parallel could work well. We don't know untill we try.
My friend in Vietnam will use them for choke input power supply for the Nelson Pass "" copy "" of the nemesis amp by Jean Hiraga.
Greetings, Eduard
Old 5th January 2018, 01:13 PM   #30
nagini262 is offline nagini262  Viet Nam
diyAudio Member

In the past, I just use CLC (capacitor input) for my projects and try to find the best capacitor as Black Gate, Cerafine. When I met Eduard, he told me try to use LC (choke input) into power supply; I tried for some projects and the result is very impressive. With choke input, no need to use high capacitance, no need to use the best capacitor but I think we must use choke input type as the link below for the best result
CH-120m-2WD TANGO HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase

Type of Choke for CLC?Hide this!Advertise here!