Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Type of Choke for CLC?
Type of Choke for CLC?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 12:53 AM   #11
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

What type of inductor is preferred in this case? Air core? Iron core (sledgehammer), or P-core? There is a big difference in price and if there is not much difference in performance, I'd rather go for the cheaper ones.
If lowest cost is the object then I go for powdered iron toroids and wind them myself. The reason for that shape is being toroidal there's precious little flux leaking out. Powdered iron has a very smooth saturation characteristic, no sudden jumps in effective inductance so its graceful in overload. One disadvantage is that its hard to get high values (by which I mean anything over a few hundred uH) on these, so I don't use just one, rather a CLCLCLC approach.

Slightly more expensive is Sendust - they have a higher mu meaning more inductance is possible in the same size.

Top of the range would be permalloy toroids.

Another option to get much higher inductance in a relatively small volume would be gapped ferrite cores - buy PQ cores and gap them yourself with some layers of transformer tape between the two halves. Ferrite doesn't have the smooth overload characteristic of powdered iron though so correct design becomes more critical and the calculations to work out the number of turns and the gap size are fairly involved.
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:42 AM   #12
eduard is online now eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Hello,
I am using a tablet to write this message and bad WiFi in hotel so a bit difficult to find out exactly where they are.
But there are some threads in the solid state and in the Pass design ""group"" on this website.
I posted a lot there because people keep using the air coils and I keep telling them to use the LL2733 or the LL1694 but so far without success. Yes I brought them for a Vietnamese friend that I will meet again in 2 weeks but he has been busy with other amps. I told him to arrange a test set up before I arrive because I wanna know what he thinks.
I know Hammond also makes some chokes that can take some current and do have some my but I like the way the Lundahl are constructed, I never had any problems with them being noisy ( even when used with choke input and more than 1A) or interference with circuits near by.
Just buy a pair once and they will serve you all your life.
Just use LL2733 to search in both groups and postings will pop up I guess.
Sincere greetings from Eduard
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:58 AM   #13
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
I would use 80E choke only if deciding for differential mode , choke input PSU

dual mono , so two for stereo

that would be killer approach

for anything less bravado , too much greenies
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:52 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hello,
But with true choke input you will need a transformer with higher output voltage.i had an Hiraga with CLC power supply and my friend still using his Hiraga for over 25 years with similar power supply. A few weeks ago a famous technician told us to try it with a choke input using a so called swinging choke but that one has to made to measure. So would be more expensive than the ll2733
Old 3rd January 2018, 04:25 AM   #15
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
can you recommend LL for 4A Iq?
Old 3rd January 2018, 04:50 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Recommended current for ll2733 is 3,4 A when used in parallel and it will saturate at 5,4 A but that is with 60 volts rms. One website in Germany writes that if 60 volts is lower which will be . Current can be considerable higher so I am sure 4A will be ok in a CLC power supply.
Old 3rd January 2018, 08:06 AM   #17
wuffwaff is offline wuffwaff  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Ive used these in my Aleph-X:

Speakers Intertechnik - Shop - Shop

They are quite compact and have a high current rating.

William
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:08 PM   #18
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduard View Post
Hello,
Recommended current for ll2733 is 3,4 A when used in parallel and it will saturate at 5,4 A but that is with 60 volts rms. One website in Germany writes that if 60 volts is lower which will be . Current can be considerable higher so I am sure 4A will be ok in a CLC power supply.
LL2733 is not dimensioned to cover current range of thirstier FW amps , where you need to deliver 2A + 2A for Iq ......... or certainly on the verge or more than 1A7 , which is max. recommended current through sole coil of LL

-that for case of having common PSU for both channels ;

paying for 4 pcs , having a pair LL2733 per channel ........ would be insane ........ taking in account how much other possibilities are there , many not worse , only better

so ,conclusion what you are doing , or - already did more than few times :

-advertising
-misleading
-not covering all necessary technical angles
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:10 PM   #19
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffwaff View Post
Hi,

Ive used these in my Aleph-X:

Speakers Intertechnik - Shop - Shop

They are quite compact and have a high current rating.

William
I like them in speaker xover , but couldn't find data for DC saturation , so - no, tnx
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:47 PM   #20
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

Type of Choke for CLC?
Eduard: Thanks for the Lundahl model numbers- this made my searching more useful.

Also poked through the offerings from Hammond and found the 195T10 which is rated at 100mH, 10A, and 0.42Rdc. It weighs in at 35lbs and sells for $280... Impressive, but not quite what I am looking for.

Type of Choke for CLC?Hide this!Advertise here!